Amusing family conflicts with our hobby... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Amusing family conflicts with our hobby...

Thought there may be others out there with some amusing/exasperating incidents. Granted, I'm just getting into this hobby, but it's already started! LOL

So I'm in the kitchen dumping some peat moss into a big bowl and my husband comes around this corner. His hangs fling up in exasperation:

Hubby: "Seriously? Dirt? We're not gonna be able to eat out of that bowl again!

Me: (mockingly) "Seriously? This stuff is practically sterile! You mean this SAME bowl you had our daughter puking into a week ago and you were happy to eat your salad out of a night later?"

Hubby: (grumbling morosely) "That's different..." *Stomps out of kitchen*

Me: (huge eye roll)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thank you for sharing this... My wife kinda does the same stuff to me!!!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I always get the old you know how much money we would save on the electricity if we did t have your fishtank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
I always get the old you know how much money we would save on the electricity if we did t have your fishtank.
Like a whopping whole $1 per month at most? Lol

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Like a whopping whole $1 per month at most? Lol
20 w * kw/1000w * 24h * 30 days * .15$/kwh = $2.16/month to run a single powerhead, or a single small hob filter.

Start looking at lights (especially you high light guys), and heaters, and solenoids, and its way more expensive.

To get it down to $1/month you'd need total electricity draw of about 8w.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
20 w * kw/1000w * 24h * 30 days * .15$/kwh = $2.16/month to run a single powerhead, or a single small hob filter.

Start looking at lights (especially you high light guys), and heaters, and solenoids, and its way more expensive.

To get it down to $1/month you'd need total electricity draw of about 8w.
Wow, 20 W? You need a new powerhead.

Seriously though, those 100s of watts of light do add up each month.

p.s. We went through the exercise of replacing our old incandescent bulbs with LEDs and compact fluorescents. Now, if my wife were to point out how much electricity the tank is wasting, I can point to all those watts that we've saved throughout the house.

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Planted Member

My canister runs 18w. A maxijet 1200 runs 20w. An aquaclear 500/110 runs 15w. I think 20 is a reasonable shot in the dark guess.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
p.s. We went through the exercise of replacing our old incandescent bulbs with LEDs and compact fluorescents. Now, if my wife were to point out how much electricity the tank is wasting, I can point to all those watts that we've saved throughout the house.
See they wash each other out.

My electric bill went up about $12 mo. Not to bad.
Now one of my employees who has a 125g reef haha his bill went up over $100 mo. I'm just glad I don't have 10 T5's and 4 MH

Semper Fi
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
My tanks consume some electricity, however my Natural gas bill was only 26 dollars last month. 13 dollars of that is "fees" so I'm not using much....

Part of that is that the heat my tanks produce radiates into the rooms surrounding. Significantly. There is an 8 degree difference in room temp between the rooms with several tanks and the spare bedroom and office with none.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
My tanks consume some electricity, however my Natural gas bill was only 26 dollars last month. 13 dollars of that is "fees" so I'm not using much....

Part of that is that the heat my tanks produce radiates into the rooms surrounding. Significantly. There is an 8 degree difference in room temp between the rooms with several tanks and the spare bedroom and office with none.
I'm totally using these statistics when I want to add more tanks to the collection..

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
See they wash each other out.

My electric bill went up about $12 mo. Not to bad.
Now one of my employees who has a 125g reef haha his bill went up over $100 mo. I'm just glad I don't have 10 T5's and 4 MH
With Reefs, people always look at the lights, but they're usually never the problem.

The problem is usually that huge pump hes running as a return/closed loop/whatever.

Pumps run 24hr/day, lights usually 8. You need 300W in lights to equal 100w of pump, and its not odd to see people running big beckett skimmers with 200+ watt pumps.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Lol, what was the OPs question?

My 65g jungle October rain
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Lol, what was the OPs question?
I think it was how fast can this thread get Hi-Jacked?
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
My family only complains when my tanks produce smells or when I leave fish stuff (buckets, packing supplies, DIY project scraps, etc) lying around.

Proud member of
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
With Reefs, people always look at the lights, but they're usually never the problem.

The problem is usually that huge pump hes running as a return/closed loop/whatever.

Pumps run 24hr/day, lights usually 8. You need 300W in lights to equal 100w of pump, and its not odd to see people running big beckett skimmers with 200+ watt pumps.
Yeah that's true, I know he has a few plus the protien skimmer. It was funny when my wife first saw it she asked why I didn't do a reef tank. I told him to tell her how much he spent on set up and extra a month in electricity. She quickly changed her mind and said planted was fine with her lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I think it was how fast can this thread get Hi-Jacked?
Done

Semper Fi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode