Fluval spec cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval spec cycle

Hi all have been cycling my tank for around week and a half think nearly done i am getting levels up to around 5 ppm every night and then 24 hours later back to 0 also same goes for nitrites at 0 every morning when i check, the nitrate level is around 80ppm is that to high ? also the ph is around 6.0 is that ok for a betta ? i am nearly there ?

also i have 2 annibias plants not sure which but there is a brown algie on leaves any idea what could cause this ?
lights on from 11-6
thanks Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

any help would be great
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Light + Water = algae? That's what could cause it. Not too complicated. It's a good sign and normal. I know people who put bettas straight from the fish store to a container with water (plus tap water conditioner) and they survive just fine without any cycling. That's not to say to do it, it's just to say you should be safe. I'm sure you're in a hurry as I've never seen anyone measure water parameters twice a day, but it's like a boiling pot - you watch it, it never boils. If you want to be safe, keep what you're doing for another few days so it rounds out to 2 weeks total and then you should be good.

Now I can't say for sure if 6.0 is okay for bettas, that sounds kind of low. From some research I've done, they look like they're better at more neutral 7.0 range and lower. The real problem is just PH swings for fish as if it's constantly 6.0 then your betta could adapt but I'm not an expert on them so I can't comment further. Definitely don't add any PH UP or additive like that. What's in your tank? Anything to lower PH, or is it just tap water and it's naturally 6.0 where you're at?

It is a betta and I'm sure they'd survive your tank and 6.0 water as is right now, but since you obviously care (which I commend you for as many bettas don't get very good homes) then i hope someone with more knowledge on them can answer as I've never had a betta before.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for the comments, will keep doin what i am for a few more days then, my tank is a fluval spec, i also just purchased a fluval ebi what i am going to set up when got a little time, i am brand new to this and want to make it work, so how would you recoment getting rid of the algie ? less light hours ?

thanks again Dean
i live in north east england

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode