Alot of weight - should I use padding? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Alot of weight - should I use padding?

Hello,
I am setting up a 150 gallon tall, and I am a bit concerned about the amount of weight that will be in the tank once full. I guesstimate that the weight of the stuff in the tank will be around 1400 pounds. (1600 pounds if you include the tank itself) This is not totally accurate as I guessed on the weight of some things, and counted the water at being 150 gallons without subtratcing the water that would be displaced by the hardscape.

I am wondering if I should place some kind of pad under the tank to ease the weight stress a bit, and wondered if I could put some sort of pad IN the tank that I could sit a 60 pound rock on.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For clarification, I am not concerned about the weight on the floor, just the weight on the bottom glass of the tank.

Cat
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

LOL, no I won't be trying THAT. I guess I should be ok then. 1200 pounds of the total weight is water, so I would guess it's built to handle much more than that.

Thanks for the link.

Cat

PS. Is there a pad I can put IN the tank under a big rock? I would like to put one in to help keep little pieces of gravel from working their way under that rock and creating a very localised pressure point. Something that doesn't degrade or won't leech stuff into my water.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Is the tank rimless? If not the rim of the tank holds the weight, not the bottom glass. Supporting the bottom glass is more likely to cause a problem.

There is no reason to pad in the tank, either. Put a later of substrate down then start putting rocks in and add some substrate around it. People have been doing this for a century....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
If you really felt the need, you could stick a piece of eggcrate under the rock or a small piece of styrofoam. I actually have a piece of styrofoam under a large rock in my 40B because almost all the weight is focused on a small point on the bottom of the rock. Necessary...probably not. Peace of mind...definitely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, the tank is not rimless. I was just concerned about the bottom due to the 60 pound rock that will have a 45 pound stump sitting on it. I guess I am worrying for nothing though. That video was pretty convincing.

Cat
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Nubster. Did you notice anything leeching into the water from the styrofoam?

Cat
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
No. No problems so far. It's been over a month and it's a shrimp tank. I think styrofoam is pretty inert.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool. Thanks so much.

Cat
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well after having a 100 gal tank rip off on my (then new) hardwood floors and loosing fish and amazing plants, I can recommend you to take all necessary precautions and it is something that if you donīt do it beforehand then you wonīt ever have a chance to do it again (or if the tank breaks)

I have styrofoam plaques under my tank, they help to make sure the tankīs weight is evenly distributed and absorb vibrations (I live in Mexico city, which has earthquakes).

The styrofoam is cheap, its not visible because the stand is covered with wood and it gives me peace of mind.

Definitely do it. You donīt loose anything by doing it. You will regret it if you donīt do it and the tank breaks for whatever reason.

As far as padding on the inside, I donīt think thatīs necessary as the rocks will be over the substrate.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you plan to put fish that may dig in the tank I'd suggest putting egg crate down, then putting your rocks directly on the egg crate (with no substrate in between). That way any digging will not unbalance the rocks and potentially cause them to fall, plus the egg crate will reduce the chances of pressure points. Probably not really an issue, but it may give you greater peace of mind!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
aquariums are designed to hold that kind of weight, i strongly advise you to not put padding under the tank because the weight of the tank could settle in the padding unevenly and cause pressure points or uneven stress.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think the OP is talking about putting some padding twixt the rocks and the glass (inside the aquarium). -I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my next setup, more to minimize the chance of scratching then anything.

The eggcrate sounds like a good idea for this, I may just do that instead.

If people are thinking about putting padding twixt their tank and their stand, I'd strongly recommend that. The idea with the stand padding is to reduce pressure points caused by surface irregularities.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
aquariums are designed to hold that kind of weight, i strongly advise you to not put padding under the tank because the weight of the tank could settle in the padding unevenly and cause pressure points or uneven stress.

This, putting Styro under a standard tank doesn't help anything.

That being said, its not what the OP is asking. I don't think you need to put anything under the rock. These tanks are meant to hold plenty of weight, and unless the rock is sitting on a sharp spot or something, its not putting much pressure on the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode