Tank substrate... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Tank substrate...

Hey guys im new here. So i've got 2 planted tanks. One is 20 gallons (70 l.) and one 3 gallon (10 l.) tank. I need to change the substrate in both of them. The 20 gallon tank is my main with my big fish the 3 gallon one is my fry tank currently holding around 15-20 fry. I have plants in both tanks. Both have just plain old gravel in them. In both of them the plants arent doing very well i used fertilizer in them and it didnt turn out so well. Algae growth started right after i used fertilizer.... So ive stopped the fertilizer now and im going to change the substrate because plain gravel doesnt hold any nutriments. My choice of substrate is tetra's complete substrate its a mix of HQ sands containing micro nutriments and natural iron it also contains peat with a high content of humic components etc. After the substrate im going to put a layer of blue quartz sand. I have high hopes for this. My plants are 2 anubias nana 5 java ferns (2 big and 3 medium sized ones) and 1 blixa japonica (i think its called like that) in my main tank. In my fry tank i have 2 anubias nana (small) and 2 unknown plants (havent searched what theyre called). So my problem is how to change the substrate in my fry tank. I've got it figured out for my main tank. But how should i get out my fry out of the tank. I still have an algae issue in there. So i need to get the fry out drain the tank (keeping the water maybe do a 20-30 % change). I have to clean it and put in the new substrate. The fry arent so small there are guppy fry variatus platy fry and 2-3 swordtail fry in there. Theyre 2-3 months old. Im pretty sure its going to be hard to lure them out of there. Can you give me any tips on how to proceed on doing that? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did the same thing. My tank cycled again after that. Be cautious.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would change 50% of the substrate one day and 50% a few days later so you don't recycle the tank. I don't understand the question about fish, drain the tank half way an just catch them with a net? Then drain the rest of the water. Or you could just siphon up the substrate into a bucket and work from there. I wouldn't change all in one day.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im going to change 50% of it but after a week or so because im still waiting for substrate to come (still shipping). So how should i change 50% of it? wont the new and old substrates get mixed? Or should i place someting in between to seperate the old and new?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode