dosing nitrogen? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
dosing nitrogen?

I dose using the pps-pro method. I noticed that my P and K was low so I started to dosing extra P and K. So far so good!

I do a weekly water change of about 50%, maybe a little less. My nitrates are about 10ppm after the change. Then about midweek they are around 40ppm( i guess, its hard to tell for sure with the color chart). I do have a heavy fish load.

So this is my thought, I would stop dosing N..but continue the daily P,K,Mg and micros, with extra iron 2x a week.

any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I'd say go for it. No real reason to add more nitrates if they are already up there. Just watch your plants for deficiencies, and keep in mind that if your tank is lightly planted at the moment, nitrate uptake can soar if one day you have a dense jungle in there. So it's good to test once in a while if things change a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Before you make changes based on a nitrate test kit reading, first calibrate the test kit, so you know for sure what the readings mean. Very often people get bad readings with those test kits, due to technique, difficulty in judging colors, and just bad test kits.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

how do you calibrate the nitrate kit?

Never mind found the thread!!!!

what are signs that of too high of nitrate?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Make a few known-strength solutions using distilled water. Mix up one that's 80ppm, then dilute it 50% to get 40ppm, one 20ppm, 10ppm, 5ppm. Test your test kit and see how the colors look vs the targets that come with the kit.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How makes a good Nitrate test??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Any thoughts on a good quality test!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode