Pygmy Chain Sword - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought my first live plant which was labelled Narrow Leaf Chain Sword Echinodorus tenellus.

Looking around on the internet I find many references to PCS and NLCS all giving the same Latin name. Are these the same plant?

I'm puzzled that I didn't find a reference cross-referencing PCS and NLCS.

BTW, what happens to the blooms? Do you trim them off at some point?

Thanks, Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think there are any 2 organisms that are different but have the same scientific names... I think you have the pygmy chain sword. This plant needs high light, nutritious substrate, and CO2 to thrive... It doesn't make sense to me, you would think the bottom plants would need the least amount of light.....

-Tim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

I know in animals there can be subspecies which, if I remember correctly, have an additional Latin name preceded by "var" for variety. I thought maybe that's what the different common names might be implying.

I did notice that a description of the Pygmy Chain Sword said that the leaves only reached 4" and mine are a little longer than that.

Anyway, if it needs nutrients in the gravel I'm in trouble. I just planted it in gravel. Can you recommend any plants that do well in plain gravel? Smallish for a 10 gal.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very few substrates are actually "nutrient rich", even Flourite. When requirements for a plant list a nutrient rich substrate, they are referring to N-P-K values. Jobe's sticks are ideal for supplying these. Get the Fern sticks that are listed as 13-4-5 and put a half stick near each large chain sword and you'll see tremendous growth. Don't cut the runners. The whole mat will become one, strong, healthy plant.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For a planted tank then, is it a good idea if you have flourite to add those sticks into the flourite??? Or when flourite absorbs nutrients from the water collumn does that make it fine. I ask because I need to know if a flourite substrate will be enough for swords and other root-feeders. Thanks!

-Tim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a Flourite subtrate and my Amazon Swords (big and small) do much better with the Jobe's sticks in the gravel. I don't overdo it, since I don't want to overload on nutrients, but every few months, when I do add the sticks, within a few weeks, I see some amazing growth.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was at my LFS the yesterday and they had the chain sword for sale. It also said that it is the plant in their display tank as well...but the ones in the display tank I always thought it to be dwarf saggiatria because it gets about 15 cm in height while chain swords is supposed to stay small. Will a pygmy chain sword get 15 cm tall?

-Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode