Newbie intro / future build planning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Newbie intro / future build planning

Hi D3monic here. Recently scaling down my current hobbies and looking to just play with a small planted tank for a bit. I was a avid reefer for several years.

Heres a few shots of my 75gal macro tank

My nano reef

After I got out of that hobby I got into Dart Frogs

Currently have 10 vivariums in my living room but getting ready to sell everything due to allergy issues from some of the plants and mites.

Just a small taste

Any how. I am selling everything off and just keeping the stand I built for the 75gal. I am looking to set up either a 75gal or 90gal if I remember correctly they have the same footprint.

I have the old overflow from my 75gal reef tank so i might just buy a 90gal and drill it myself and silicone the overflow where ever i want it.

Thinking a nice Discus community tank with tetras, corycats and maybe a few angels.

For filtration does anyone have any good suggestions for canister / biofiltration? I would like to do the majority of filtering under the tank out of sight.

Sub-straight would most likely be eco earth unless someone suggests something else for the plants I list.

Lighting I am going to use my 4 bulb HO T5 unit. Should be enough for most plants.

I need to do more research on CO2 injection and stuff but should be easy enough.

Browsed the data base and came up with a short list of plants I liked. Please, feel free to offer other suggestions. I need more green background suggestions.

For background I was thinking Limnophila aromatica, Creeping Jenny

Midground / showpieces i was thinking either tiger lotus or red rubin sword.

Foreground mostly Utricularia graminifolia with a few rocks to break up the ground. Maybe some Eriocaulon sp. 'cinereum near the edges and or Lawn Marshpennywort.

Would any of the ornamental shrimp species be ok with the types of fish listed?

Anyhow this is the shortened (accidently deleted post the first time) version.
If I did not go into much detail I am sorry.

Look forward to hanging with you guys and posting the upcoming build pics.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really digging this pair of Discus

no aquabid link

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone here use brightwell products on their systems? http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/

I was a big fan of them in my reefing days and it looks like they have added a whole new slew of products since then. Looks like theres a fairly large selection of freshwater products.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think a canister filter would be good (probably 2 of them) but I think when you reach a certain size tank, people tend to recommend sump systems. I've never set one up myself but found a good step by step on youtube for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heAjxXHmrF8 (skip to like step 4 to see it in motion... the one in this particular video might be too loud since it's in your living room though)

But I think you should use whatever filtration you're comfortable with. Since you were a reefer you most likely have your preference
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:18 AM
Planted Member

I would assume your largest concern would be biological filtration because there's no freshwater version of live rock. I would make a wet dry sump with a simple mechanical pre filter. I would think that would be very easy to maintain and would provide ample filtration. I don't know much about livestock but I do know that many people bring up concerns about corydoras and substrate selection. Google your substrate plus corydoras and see what others think.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, interesting design on the sump. I will have to more research on FW biofiltration

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
I would assume your largest concern would be biological filtration because there's no freshwater version of live rock. I would make a wet dry sump with a simple mechanical pre filter. I would think that would be very easy to maintain and would provide ample filtration. I don't know much about livestock but I do know that many people bring up concerns about corydoras and substrate selection. Google your substrate plus corydoras and see what others think.
If corydoras are an issue i would rather remove them from the element than plant selection.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am debating on whether or not to go through the effort of constructing a foam rockwall or if the plants would end up hiding my effort.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Planted Member

Well many people argue that corydoras can succeed on almost any substrate as long as they are housed in optimal water conditions. I doubt they will be an issue but I think it would be safer to do a quick search. I'm not familiar with eco earth but it may be perfectly suitable.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Looking forward to the build. Those Vivs look great. I have no doubt your planted tank will look fantastic. Vivariums are much harder to get looking nice IMO.

The reef looks great as well. I see you're from Illinois, ever been to Inland Aquatics?

As far as substrate I'm not sure how well Eco-earth would work ( That is if you are talking about the compressed coconut fiber used in Vivariums) However, Eco- Complete would work well.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oops yea thats what i meant. Not the dirt crap. Maybe I will go with an all brightwell build and use their substratum http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/rio_escuro_f.php

Our reef club was supposed to do a field trip to inland but I didn't get to go. Always wanted to though.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Planted Member

Ohhhh echo earth just didn't make sense to me ! I was thinking poor plants and corydoras haha eco complete is much better

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For filtering, lets go ahead and assume I am going with the 90gal. Should I get one with a overflow? Would that work with a canister filter? Not the least bit scared of drilling a tank if needed. I really don't want to go with the sump route. Too much noise, I can't stand the sound of splashing water (yea I know...) From what I hear canister filters are nice and quiet. With that said, what are good brands and an appropriate size? Prefilter? reactors? I have a reef controller that I am sure could come in handy. Not afraid to get technical but would like to keep things as clean and maintenance free as possible.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
welcome D3monic. I have followed your vivs.....you and grimm are some of the best. cant wait to see the planted tank. I too am starting to convert over to planted tanks after a half dozen or so paluds. I guess I'll be learning thru you some more once again!

best fishes
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome Vivs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
For filtering, lets go ahead and assume I am going with the 90gal. Should I get one with a overflow? Would that work with a canister filter? Not the least bit scared of drilling a tank if needed. I really don't want to go with the sump route. Too much noise, I can't stand the sound of splashing water (yea I know...) From what I hear canister filters are nice and quiet
If you don't like the sound of splashing water stay away from an overflow. I'm partial to silence as well

Using a spray bar that points across the tank is a good way to circulate water, if you don't mind the clutter. Personally, I think drilling is the most aesthetically pleasing method to run your filtration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
. With that said, what are good brands and an appropriate size? Prefilter? reactors? I have a reef controller that I am sure could come in handy. Not afraid to get technical but would like to keep things as clean and maintenance free as possible.
I'm a sucker for eheims. Love their silence, efficiency and overall quality. The eheim classics are a personal favorite of mine. I'm sure other brands will work well but I've been bitten by the eheim bug. . You could probably get a great deal from someone selling a used one. I've heard them lasting for many years if not decades.

A prefilter isn't necessary but if you like to keep maintenance down on your filter, then I guess it's a good idea. Fluval has a nice little inlet filter sponge that's works great.

Reactor? Do you mean CO2 reactor? You can build one yourself if you like. Just search for rex grigg reactor, or DIY reactor. I think the easiest and best way to run CO2 is through an inline reactor. Something small and easy to install.

That reef controller will come in handy if you plan on auto-dosing fertilizers...and ofcourse everything else auto related

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode