Minimal Ram Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Wei
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wei
Minimal Ram Setup

I saw some blue and gold rams at my LFS. I know very little about them except that I want some. I already have a 29gal aquarium all community fish, so I was aiming at starting another tank. I want to keep this setup on a low budget, prolly a 10gal, is that enough? what type of filter? how many rams? can I add any other fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A 10 gallon would only be enough for a single pair of rams. Like most cichlids, they are pretty territorial. I'm not sure how you sex them, but I imagine you could find plenty of folks round here who do know (has something to do with blue dots???).

Are you planning to plant this tank?

As for tankmates, I would suggest regular old guppies. You can use these to make sure the tank is cycled and all, and then afterwards, they will happily produce "live food" for your rams. I bought a ram for my tank specifically to keep down the guppy population.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Wei
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Wei
Wow, this awesome, because I got a pair of guppies in my 29gal and they just had a batch of at least 20 or so fries. So the rams will only eat the baby guppies? and yes I am in the planning stages of all this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Rams are great fish. I would call them medium difficult as I have had problems with mass die off with several batches. Just be prepared. A heathly pair of rams will spawn. Low hardness is better than low pH although the spawn can be difficult to raise (experience to date). You might get a pair that raises their spawn though as many members have.

So neat fish and good luck!

Moved to Tucson.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a breeding pair in my 40g, they are great fish! There are also guppies that regularly produce fry, and from what I have seen the rams do not bother the fry whatsoever. Sexing: The males have elongeted dorsal fins with 3 or 4 spikes near their front. The females are generally smaller, and have slightly pink bellies.
Hope this is of some help..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rams don't seem to be very finicky eaters. Mine have always taken flakes or small pellets with no complaints. They'll certainly eat live foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc. And I don't know about your rams, Lorenceo, but mine definitely does not leave guppy fry alone. If I leave town for a day or two, he'll always snag a few. I've even seen him ambush them a few times while I'm feeding the tank. He'll wait till the fry come out to eat and then nail them. Cool to watch. Once the guppies reach about 3/8 inch, he no longer bothers them. He really just keeps the population manageable.

Rams, however, are not the easiest things in the world to keep. I've had good luck with the gold ram I have now, but I lost half a dozen all at once a few years back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

How would they do with cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
bye bye cherries
rams are very good hunters, in my experience. they are also fairly easy to sex compared to some cichlids (angels and discus, for instance) The best way is to keep an eye on the ones in the lfs. the males will usually be larger, with taller "spikes" on their dorsal fin, where females will have a spike, but it is usually "dagger" shaped, where the males is thinner, longer, and looks kind of like a feather sticking out of a hat. happy/healthy females will also have a pink/purple hue to their bellies that is a hint that they're ready to spawn. If you're lucky, you can find a pair, usually around decorations, filters, or huddled in a corner of the tank, courting, and possibly spawning at the LFS. Healthy rams will spawn, but the fry are notoriously difficult to keep alive to adulthood. I've had multiple spawns, a few of which made it to the free swimming stage, but none ever got larger than 1/3". I don't have any rams currently (got a couple pairs of kribs that i'm attempting to breed at the moment to build up my confidence for another go at rams or apistos), but the next time I try to breed them, I would remove the parents and hand-rear the fry with microworms, baby brine shrimp, etc. without the possibility of a hungry or stressed parent making a snack of the babies. I would also rate them medium difficulty, but it's mostly because of unexplained death and overall fragile nature of many big operation fish farm stock. If you find a reputable dealer, they're supposedly quite hardy, and much easier to breed. I would also recommend staying away from the gold variety, as they've never lasted more than a month for me. Oh, and a ten gallon with a pair or two pairs of guppies should be perfect. if you're intending to breed, also include a few flat rocks or bare pieces of driftwood for spawning sites. rams will occasionally use caves, but they usually spawn on hard flat surfaces or in pits in the substrate. Best of luck if you get some rams, and let us know how you like your new friends

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
I would also recommend staying away from the gold variety, as they've never lasted more than a month for me. Oqsy
I bought a half dozen Gold Rams on Aquabid and they all died within 3 days. And I acclimated them VERY slowly and carefully. Right now I've got the replacements in the tank waiting to see how they fare. 2 were DOA when I opened the box.....

Fig
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought a pair of blue rams 2 weeks ago. they looked great in the store. Got them home, drip acclimated them for over 2 hours before introducing them into thier new home. everything was going great then 2 days later i noticed they were both breathing really fast. The next day one was laying on its side on one of my plants the other was not to be found. The next day they were both dead.
All the other fish in the tank are doing great, and are alot smaller then the rams were so i dont think they were to stressed out.

fast forward to this past weekend, I head to a different store and they have gold rams. Beautiful coloration, some of the best ive seen. So i had to give it another go. I bought another pair with a beautiful male. pinks, reds, orange, gold, blue colors. Do the drip acclimate for an hour or so. introduce them to the tank and there instantly out and about. I fed later that evening and they actually ate. Came home from work last night and usually the first think I do is go and check all my tanks (usually before I even set my keys down ) and what do I see...white spots all over both of them!. Arrgh so now their in a quarantine tank, hopefully the other fish wont get it.

Water parameters are fine, nothing out of whack.
Ph is 6.6 to 6.5 is it possible that my Ph is to low?

I just have no Ram luck

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I keep my nitrates fairly low (not higher than 10-20 ppm at the end of a week) for my Rams and I do 40% water changes each week in this planted 10g to keep the nitrates down. My female Ram loves to eat my Cherry Shrimp and my male really likes to snack on baby MTS. I hope that he'll soon show her how good the baby MTS taste and maybe then the Cherry's can stay hidden and not eaten.
Another option is to get some Bolivian Rams. These guys are neat but I can't tell the sex of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode