Glossostigma weirdness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glossostigma weirdness

Hi everyone,
I set up a tank approx. 4 weeks ago, it is a 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube Deluxe with 2, 24 watt 6700k bulbs and I am running a Nutrafin co2 kit. The tank is planted with java moss, Anubias nana petite, Mayaca fluvitalis, micro sword, a dwarf lily (nymphea stellata I think), and Glossostigma. pH is 6.8, KH is 3.5. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates don't register when I test for them. There are 4 neon tetras, 5 Rasbora heteramorpha, 3 kuhlii loaches, and 7 Amano shrimp in the tank.

Ok, now for the weirdness, all the plants seem to be doing great, especially since I got the cyanobacteria outbreak under control that hit the tank 4 or 5 days after the plants went in. But the Glossostigma, even though it is growing like crazy and staying nice and horizontal, has started changing colors. The veins on the leaves are all turning white, which while not unattractive, seems a bit odd to me. Some of the newest growth has even started off completely white taking a few days to get any green coloration at all. What the heck is causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
You can look at causes here. Are you adding any ferts, your nitrates souldn't be 0, you could be at the begining of a nitrogen deficiency

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH
You can look at causes here. Are you adding any ferts, your nitrates souldn't be 0, you could be at the begining of a nitrogen deficiency
I am adding ferts, I was using Nutrafin PlantGro with Iron (hey, it came free with my co2 kit), but even though I was using 1.5 times the recommended amount I was still getting 0 nitrates even if I tested just an hour or so after adding the fertilizer. Today I started using Flourish Nitrogen, Potasium, Iron, and Trace Elements (I ordered Phosphorus as well as my phosphates are testing at 0 as well but apparently the company I ordered them from was out of that item) but since I just started using these products today I haven't seen any change yet, I also don't really know when I should expect to see a change.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

I have white growth on my glosso when I neglect my fertilisation... probably nitrogen is what you need. Give it a few days.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by montegoblue
I am adding ferts, I was using Nutrafin PlantGro with Iron (hey, it came free with my co2 kit), but even though I was using 1.5 times the recommended amount I was still getting 0 nitrates even if I tested just an hour or so after adding the fertilizer. Today I started using Flourish Nitrogen, Potasium, Iron, and Trace Elements (I ordered Phosphorus as well as my phosphates are testing at 0 as well but apparently the company I ordered them from was out of that item) but since I just started using these products today I haven't seen any change yet, I also don't really know when I should expect to see a change.
I have a sample bottle of the nutrafin stuff too. It's essentially trace with nitrogen. No potassium, no phosphorus. I think a lot of people just use a fleet enema for phosphorus (I do - I'm cheap)

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Gregwatson.com for the cost of all that stuff you listed you can get at least a years worth from Greg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If your nitrates are 0, that's a problem. Contrary to popular belief, algae outbreaks are often caused by *deficiencies* as opposed to excess nutrients. A good number to aim for on nitrates is 10-15...that, of course, depends on how quickly your plants consume it. Measure phosphates too and make sure you stay near the 10:1 (nitrate:phosphate) ratio, which is often recommended by people.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It may take a week of dosing to get your plants going, I suggest you ease into it until you see some growth or green up. I would trash the free Nutrafin ferts, god and nutrafin only knows whats in there.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk
Gregwatson.com for the cost of all that stuff you listed you can get at least a years worth from Greg
Be careful with Greg Watson, in my opinion the bulk products sold on his site are best suited to advanced hobbiests who know exactly what they are doing. Beginners will not get mixing and dosing instructions with their order.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Be careful with Greg Watson, in my opinion the bulk products sold on his site are best suited to advanced hobbiests who know exactly what they are doing. Beginners will not get mixing and dosing instructions with their order.
That is very true, however spend a little time on this site and others and you will be able to get a lot of great information. . .Personaly I feel that no one can tell you the correct way to dose your tank, you gotta get in there and figure it out on your own. However getting advice for a good starting point is a very good idea
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone. After adding the recommended amount of Flourish Nitrogen yesterday I still didn't have a registrable amount of nitrates today, so I dosed it up again with the recommended amount and will see how it tests tomorrow. Oh, by the way, I know it isn't the test kit as I have tested other aquariums and got nitrate readings

I will also be doing a water change tomorrow and was wondering how you guys deal with dosing after a water change? If everything is as it should be do you just add extra ferts based on the quantity of water you removed from the tank?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegoblue
Thanks for the help everyone. After adding the recommended amount of Flourish Nitrogen yesterday I still didn't have a registrable amount of nitrates today, so I dosed it up again with the recommended amount and will see how it tests tomorrow. Oh, by the way, I know it isn't the test kit as I have tested other aquariums and got nitrate readings

I will also be doing a water change tomorrow and was wondering how you guys deal with dosing after a water change? If everything is as it should be do you just add extra ferts based on the quantity of water you removed from the tank?
Remember, flourish nitrogen is not just nitrates - your test kit won't give an accurate reflection of how much nitrogen is available.

If you dosed flourish nitrogen to 10ppm, you would register about 5ppm on a test kit I believe... not 100% sure though.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Could always add a little more food for your fish. That will probably boost the nitrates in the tank. Just don't boost it too much or the amonia will go up too. I would take it easy on the fertalizers. If you over do it with things that contain iron, then you might get a hair algae outbreak, and that can be a pain in the butt to deal with.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer
Could always add a little more food for your fish. That will probably boost the nitrates in the tank. Just don't boost it too much or the amonia will go up too. I would take it easy on the fertalizers. If you over do it with things that contain iron, then you might get a hair algae outbreak, and that can be a pain in the butt to deal with.
Add extra food? Isn't it easier to dose fertilisers accordingly - you actually have a high level of control using this method, adding more fish food is guess work and probably inefficient to the extreme.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode