safe co2

Hi all
could someone please tell me what is a safe level of co2 to have in my tank
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I aim for 30-40ppm. Right now I have it at 48ppm with no problems.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
My Co2 is right around 40-45ppm and no problems. I have 1 otto, 4 SAEs, 2 platys and 2 swordtail...and lots of snails.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

There is actually a differing of opinion on this subject. I have read that levels above 12 ppm can be harmful to some species (causing kidney damage)*. Others say the level can be as high as 50 ppm.

*Source - The Complete Aquarium (p. 165), Peter W. Scott
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
That may be true. I've never heard it, but it sounds reasonable. 12ppm seems pretty low. Most planted tank folks would say that 12ppm , in any situation, is too low on the Co2 scale. So, perhaps that just means that some fish aren't suitable for planted tanks (?).

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Basically the simple answer is; there is no "safe" level that can be applied to all tanks. It will depend on the type of fish species, other stress factors, age of fish, etc etc.
If you are asking "what CO2 level would you recommend", I can give you my answer of 20-30ppm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
Most planted tank folks would say that 12ppm , in any situation, is too low on the Co2 scale. So, perhaps that just means that some fish aren't suitable for planted tanks (?).
You are refering to high light planted tanks only.
In nature, most freshwaters have a CO2 level of between 0-14ppm. You must remember that what we create with our high light planted tanks is not a representation of nature.... it is an accelerated ecosystem where we provide an excess of photosynthetic factors to try to obtain maximum or optimal growth.

Therefore one could argue that almost no fish are "used" to living in water with a CO2 level above 20ppm, and they are in some way suffering in our home aquaria.

Unless major scientific research is done at this level of fishkeeping, we just cannot tell at present if, say for example 35ppm CO2 is long-term detrimental to x species of fish. (There's another experiment to add to the list Hoffboy! )

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
CO2 and O2 are related in terms of fish health.
The higher CO2 in the presence of plants = higher O2.

Are there plants added and what is the O2 levels in these studies suggesting these CO2 level are unsuitable for fish?

I do not add CO2 at night, there is simply no good reason to do so.
So when the CO2 is high, so is the O2.

I will further add, I've not had a disease nor lost a fish in over 15 years of using CO2. I've kept many species, done more tanks than I can count.
Bred Dsicus, and many other fish in planted tanks using CO2.

20-30ppm is a good range if the test are correct.
There are many places where the CO2 levels are higher in springs.
We also see lots of native fish and lots of plant growth.

Don't believe it? Come on down.
Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com
Plant Fest 2K5 in Florida July 8-15(FW and then the Marine version)! Swim with plecos loose in the wild, Everglades aquatic plant nursery tour, trip to Tampa Public aquarium presentation at Tampa's aquarium society, more driftwood than you shake a stick at, native fish, weeds and more weeds. Stop watching the Discovery channel and do the Discovery channel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode