Bolbitis plant is tall! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Bolbitis plant is tall!

Just a tiny bit I cut out of my mother colony

Much taller then I expected it to ever grow since tropica says they grow up to 40cm(14")
http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Last edited by ming; 04-02-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Great plant! Give Bolbitus what it needs and it is a real monster!

Makes you wish there was an actual miniature variety!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just had the same trimming myself. Amazing plant. I have growth straight off the driftwood basically growing in air.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I really like this plant! Got a few sprouts from Mike a while ago, and now they have propagated through all my tanks. I have even a bunch in my 10 gal, when they get too overwhelming I just cut off and rip out part of the rhizome, the remainder shoots out new, smaller leaves for a while, then repeat etc.
Good plant for lower light, nice dark green too. And the usual plant eaters will probably not like the tough leaves.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
There are two types, one is the tall variety, 12-20" and the other is the curly leaf, gets about 6-8".
Most is the Curly leaf being sold.

Similar thing with C helfendi as well.

Reagrds,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would definately like to get my hands on the smaller one

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've found that the numbers listed for plant height are bologna, every plant I have is 30" tall. If my tank was 40" tall they would pobably be to the top of that, plenty of clear water, nutients, and light.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I wouldnt mind getting ahold of the tall one. . . .any avalible ming?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK...I'lll bite...can you Bolbitus fans hook a guy up with trimmings or what? I'll gladly pay shipping, plus a premium for your trouble. I've got a 25T that would be perfect for this growth habit.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH
I've found that the numbers listed for plant height are bologna, every plant I have is 30" tall. If my tank was 40" tall they would pobably be to the top of that, plenty of clear water, nutients, and light.
I'm not sure what type of plants you have, but stem plants don't count as they have no max length.
lumpyfunk: I'm hoping I can perhaps trade someone so I can get the short variety... any takers?

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
I'm not sure what type of plants you have, but stem plants don't count as they have no max length.
lumpyfunk: I'm hoping I can perhaps trade someone so I can get the short variety... any takers?
I know that now, but in all of the Aquarium Plant books and at the LFS they list a max hieght thats false information. So if your new to this hobby and are plannig your aquascape with stagered hieghts you might be in for a little suprise. I don't thin it only applies to stem plants either.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Well... I too would like to get my hands on the compact variety that Tom describes.

Quote:
the other is the curly leaf, gets about 6-8".
Most is the Curly leaf being sold.
Never heard of that... the one I have beats even the 20" max easily in the 100 gal tank (not that this is a bad thing...)

Anyone wants to trade a common curly short one with a rare tall straight one?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Well... I too would like to get my hands on the compact variety that Tom describes.

Never heard of that... the one I have beats even the 20" max easily in the 100 gal tank (not that this is a bad thing...)

Anyone wants to trade a common curly short one with a rare tall straight one?
Hey! I'm first! Wait your turn!
I like my tall variety, but a shorter variety can be used as a mid ground in another tank of mine.

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
Awesome plant The colour is so neat, very different green than most of the plants have. The family name is spelled Bolbitis, btw. I know there's a word for people like me in english, oh, anal retentive I just can't help it, and well, it is easier to find information of things using the right names
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I corrected the title to your liking
But you're right, its a lot easier finding information on things with the correct spelling

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode