I DID it!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I DID it!!!

Everyone bow to the do-it-yourself-ing techno-wizard that is ME! I have CO2!

Seriously though... May not seem like much to most of you old salts, but I cannot tell you how excited I was after mixing up my first batch and throwing it all together when just a few short hours later, I saw BUBBLES! I am such a helpless ninny when it comes to anything that smacks of the technical and this is just too much fun and I just really want to raise a glass to all of you for all your help and advice. Cheers!

On that note - just one more question - for now... Right now I am using an airstone for diffusion. I know - not the best, but it's what I have on hand. Hagen sells the bubble counter do-hickeys separately from the whole system. Can I just grab one of those and use it in lieu of the airstone or would I need to buy the whole enchilada? (Quite repugnant to a DIYer such as myself...)

Thanks again everybody - seriously!
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congrats on making bubbles!

They do sell the ladders seperatly...here ya go.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...d1=3349;pcid2=

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Congrats! Wait till you start tinkering with your mix...Not to be a buzzkill, but just keep in mind about the reaction taking place in that bottle...and I would make sure you have a checkvalve with arrow pointing at the diffusor.

Also, you can just get the ladder seperate...
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...tegory_id=2873

The whole system just includes a grey bottle of sorts, some overprices yeast and baking soda, and a length of co2 hose...but you DIY'd all that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Congrats on your feat I've been told that the airstone will eventually dissolve, clog-up or both due to the buildup of Carbonic acid(from CO2 in the water). Perhaps a better way of diffusing would be a little diffuser contracption made by Eheim that is pretty simple and works well. You just plug your airline tubing into it and there is a small reaction chamber and above that, a small "dime-sized" airstone disc which breaks up the bubbles quite well. This costs about $15 and can be found on www.bigalsonline.com I believe, but it may have been at www.petsolutions.com. Airstones are better than nothing, but are by no means the best way. Congrats and keep it up!
-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:04 PM

Is there any difference between that ladder diffuser linked at Big Al's for $19.99 and this one at Drs. Foster & Smith for $9.99? Curious because I'm thinking of going DIY myself.

Also, will standard airline tubing work, or do you need something special?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Planted Member

Its only $19.99 because its the canadian prices. bigals is 11.99 just for the ladder I believe. Ive found that drfs is sometimes a little cheaper then bigals but shipping is a few bucks more. As always shop around

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:13 PM

Thanks...duh. Didn't notice the ".ca" in the Big Al's address!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

I DID it!!!

Thanks y'all!

Yeah, the airstone is simply an "I can't wait" stop-gap measure... I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up the ladder diffusor (sans the whole kit - DIYers don't need that nonsense...)

I keep looking at the plants... now GROW!

Kathy
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTApuffgal
I keep looking at the plants... now GROW!
The water will boil, the paint will dry and the grass will grow...

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Your post reminds me of the first time I realized that the small fortune I was spending on the "activator" and "stabilizer" for the Nature CO2 system was actually just baking soda and yeast. When I realized it actually worked, I just about jumped up and did a little dance.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I DID it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
Your post reminds me of the first time I realized that the small fortune I was spending on the "activator" and "stabilizer" for the Nature CO2 system was actually just baking soda and yeast. When I realized it actually worked, I just about jumped up and did a little dance.
-Aphyosemion
Exactly! Once I got the drilling and sealing and tubes and such squared away, that simple little mixture just seemed TOO EASY. I kept going back to the tank - harrumph - big fat nothing happening. Then suddenly BUBBLES! I haven't been this excited in months! (How pathetic is THAT???)

Happy dance!

Kathy
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
WOW!

Hooray for you for making your own gas!!!

Uh, should I re-phrase that?

Being of the "Sell me the Package Deal" school, I can only gaze on in admiration. I felt like a big girl when I put a light bulb of my own choosing [after much coaching] into my 5gal Eclipse! You ROCK!

Figs
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

I DID it!!!

Thanks Figgy! I really have a sense of accomplishment happening here! And guess what kids? The fungus/bacteria/whatever the [email protected] it is that everyone says will pass on my Mopani is PEARLING! Not the plants, but dadburnitall, somethin's pearling up in there!!!

Kathy
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

where can I find easy step by sep directions on diy co2??? Thanks!

SS

55 gal with Cascade 1000, 4.5 inches fourite, gravel and Eco-complete, 2-40w Tritons, 1-40w Power-Glo
Fish: Rummy Nose Tetras,White Cloud Tetras (2 color morphs), Cherry Barbs, Cory Catfish, Honey Gourami's, gold neons, black stripe tetras, 2 female german rams
Plants: Micro Sword, Creeping Charlie, Frill, Red Crypt wendtii, Amazon Sword, Anubias nana, Bacopa rotundifolia, Aponogeton undalatus, Cabomba, Ludwigia repens
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

I DID it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexishrimp
where can I find easy step by sep directions on diy co2??? Thanks!
SS
Right here! https://www.plantedtank.net/co2.html

I started with the simple diffusor - an airstone. But I'm upgrading to a bubble counter. Or maybe I'll just go crazy and build the reactor in that article. Stop the madness!!!

Kathy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode