Interesting background ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Pia

PTrader: (1/100%)
Interesting background ideas?

I was recently looking into making a small terrarium and I fell in love with the natural textured looking backing of cork bark.

So I began to wonder- Is there any sort of interesting, 3Dish or textured background I can use in my aquarium?

Cork bark can be used in moist/humid environments, but it would probably rot if it was submerged, huh? Well, I'm sure there's something else to make the back of my aquarium interesting. Let me know if anyone knows of any ideas, please!

I'm in the mood to silicon something, dang it! Hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Doesn't involve any silicon, but moss walls can look nice after they grow in a bit. There are some links here to give you the idea.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
I am currently using a cork board background for my FW planted 75 gal...
IMO it looks great....my camera took a crap....but i posted a few pics in one of the earlier post when i first set up the tank...

i will try and get my work camera to take a shot

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Pia

Oh moss backgrounds! I remember reading about those a while back. They are sooo beautiful, don't you think? I had always wanted to try one. Hmmm...

FISA- I looked up the pictures of your 75g with the cork background. Wow! That is really nice! Where did you get it? Is it the some corkboard that is used for tack boards or notice boards?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I dont know how well this works but I thought it looked cool
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ackground3.php
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont know if this can apply to fish aquariums, but i know ive used/ its been used for terrariums and paludarium tanks. So, i doubt it will effect your fish or plants in any way.

Im talking about the DIY polyeurethane foam backgrounds, from cans like "Great Stuff". You simply spray the stuff onto your back wall, apply silicone, and add whatever (wood, moss, sand etc) you want on it then let it dry.

There is a link on how to do this here http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery/talltank/page1.html

And if you need more ideas on paludarium backgrounds, click this link and click Paludario. http://www.paludario.com/aplicacionp...uregallery.asp
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Wow, those moss walls are cool as hell! My wallet nearly flew out of my pocket for some x-mas moss when I saw those pics. I must've missed the original discussion because this is the first I have heard of moss walls. Just think of how much nutrients a moss wall would suck up! Your algae would be DOOMED! Well....maybe moss wouldn't suck up as much as riccia, since it's much slower growing.
I noticed that all the pictures of the moss walls were taken very close up, rather than showing the whole tank. I wonder if maybe they don't look so great when taken as a whole? Maybe the uniformity of the moss background creates some blandness? I don't know for sure, I am just guessing.
Has anyone here in the forum tried a moss background? They look really easy! I would love to do one of those on my 20 gallon, but before I kick down a bunch of money for the motherload of x-mas moss, I could use some words of wisdom from someone with experience on the subject.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 PM

I like the look of the moss background on the tank. So much in fact that I'm going to collect the materials and give it a shot on my own.
A couple of questions concerning that though...

I'm wondering if the plastic mesh they're talking about is akin to window screening?

If it's plastic and not that bendable, how do you get it to fold to close up the gaps against the back of the tank so fish don't get caught back there?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 PM

A further question would be...

WHERE do you get Christmas moss? I'm pretty sure none of the local LFS's around here carry it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

They did mention that you want to make sure the screen fits tight to the sides of the tank so your fish can't swim behind it, because it is a fish death trap.
I am picturing the plastic screen that you get at a crafts store. I have bought that before for use with riccia. I imagine when you fold it you would have to push down pretty hard on the edges to get it to fold right. Also, they mentioned in one of the articles that you want to sew the outer edges together with something like fish line.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

What sucks about x-mas moss is that you can buy it, though in small amounts and often it is shipped from Singapore or something. I ordered some from Singapore, but it got too cold in transit and croaked.
-Aphyosemion

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 PM

Well that's not good. Certainly there has to be some marketers in the states that can or do carry that type?

If it's that difficult to find, I might change to java moss or another moss that will give somewhat the same appearance.

Another thing I am curious about, is that with my intake to my filter being not too far from that back glass, if it would suck the moss into the intake?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Algae Grower

There is several lots of christmas moss on aquabid right now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode