quick question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
quick question

ok im setting up a homemade co2....does it matter if your check valve is in the water? 2nd does it matter what way the check valve goes on? and 3rd does the check valve go after the thing that dissolves the co2 into the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
1) No.

2) Yes, if you put it the wrong way no CO2 will get into the tank and the bottle will explode. Most check valves have an arrow that designates the flow, if so, it should point from the bottle towards the fish tank (so CO2 can go from the bottle to the tank, but no water out of the tank onto the carpet while changing the sud).

3) Huh? No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:32 PM

- shouldn't matter that the check valve is in the water, at least I can't think of a reason it shouldn't be. Why do you want it in the water? I've only seen them out of the water closer to the CO2 equipment...

- it does matter which way the valve goes on. A check valve is uni-directional so it will only allow movement in one direction. All the check valves I've seen have a little arrow or triangle on them to indicate flow direction.

- Don't understand your third question. There's normally nothing after the "thing" that dissolves your CO2. The point of the check valve is to prevent water movement down the CO2 tube towards your solenoid/CO2 regulator/CO2 source, depending on your setup.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

3rd question does the reator go after the check valve or before the checks valve?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

there is no arrow on my check valve but im guessing that the cotton thats inside of it should be facing the tank...correct me if im wrong
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
It should go like this:

CO2 source - Check Valve ( -> = arrow goes with dircetion CO2 is flowing or gas should open check valve when flowing) - Reactor

Hope that makes sense.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
The checkvalve goes into the CO2 tubing that ends up spitting bubbles into the reactor, so in a way, the reactor goes after the checkvalve.

If it has no arrow, here is what you do. Face the tank. Put the check valve in your mouth and blow. This works only one way. If you can blow, the side that faces the tank needs to face the tank, while the side that points towards the back of your throat should look towards the CO2 producing bottle. Phew!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david
there is no arrow on my check valve but im guessing that the cotton thats inside of it should be facing the tank...correct me if im wrong

Blow on both both ends of the check valve. One direction you can, the other other direction you cannot.

On the side where you were able to blow "from" you need to have your CO2 bottles.

On the end where the air is coming "out" from, connect your CO2 reactor.

What he said up there....didn't see it before...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks alot everyone...im all set now...ill post pics once plants start growing...ill show befores and afters
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

all i need now is a 110 watt light and a reactor....i never new a light could be so expensive...i saw one for like 70$ that was the cheapset

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode