Praecox rainbow fry!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Praecox rainbow fry!!

Hey Guys I was checking out my Qt tank this am and found my praecox are producing FRY !!
This is my 15 gallon tall sump equipped planted tank.
I use it for qt'ing any new loaches. It currently has three small 1.5 inch Kubotais , 1 sae , 2 ottos and 1 M, 1F preacox rainbows.
I managed to get a pic of them after I caught three with a medicine cup. There were lot's of really small ones (more like eggs with tails). I have three now in a breeder net pen in the tank.
Here is the pic.
I'm really surprised they had not been eaten and managed to get to this stage.
Anyone have tips on feeding praecox rainbow fry?
Ps This tank recently underwent a mini cycle ( & BGA treatement via maracyn) due to change over from ugf and red sea flora crap to sump and seachem onyx sand. It is only now starting to grow well. I will post a tank pic when does not look so crappy.
Botia

Botias 15 tall tank journal.

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

- Marge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Thumbs up

WOOHOO! I got some rainbowfish eggs on some plants from my LFS about 6 months ago or so. They hatched out and I raised them up. They are currently sub-adults. They still haven't shown their full coloration, since rainbows are adults before they color up in some cases, but my LFS says they are probably praecox, based on the 3 tanks they keep the plants in. They are just starting to show their colors, so I should know soon for sure what they are. I have 16 out of about 24 of the original fish. The only reason I don't have the full 24 is that a couple jumped out and I changed the gravel when they were still small and accidently buried a couple.
By the way, when yours hatched, were they tiny? I mean REALLY tiny? Mine were so small that the fry food I added to the tank was almost as big as they were. It was a chore to feed them, but I used First Bites fry food and ground it up even more with my fingers til they got big enough to eat the full size stuff.
Anyway, good luck with the fry! Let me know if you have any problems! Make sure to keep up on those water changes while they are small, as well! I cycled my 20 gallon tank with RO water about every 2 to 3 days for about the first month or so with 50% water changes. I have heard of some breeders cycling 90% twice a day, but that seems insane. Especially since my tank was already cycled and I have the healthy fishies to prove my method was sufficient.
Oh, by the way, I glossed over your question about feeding. I kind of already addressed it, but I want to mention it specifically. If you use first bites powdered fry food from any Petco or Petsmart and grind it up even more with your fingers, that is sufficient to feed them until they are big enough to eat other things. Also, you will DEFINATELY need to get them into thier own tank or at least a container of some sort otherwise they will be lunch. My tank was empty at the time my rainbows hatched because I hadn't decided what kind of fish to put in there yet, so it wasn't a problem. If you don't feed them heavily for the first week or 2, you will lose most of them, so run out and get some First Bites! RUN!
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rainbow fry update!

Well it 's been awhile since I lasted posted.Here's the scoop.
I got some interpet liquifry No1. (for egglayers fry). I still have the mesh breeding trap in the 15 tall tank with some mayaya fluviatilis floating in it.
I still have 3 fry which seem to be active and getting bigger.
The liquifry was the only fry food I could find locally in a hurry.
I'm still amazed that even three were able to survive in tank with three juveinile botia kubotai ,1 platy , 1 small sae and 2 ottos , and of course mom and dad.
I moved the sae out now and soon the platy will be gone too.
The tank was also ina mini cycle when these guys hatched as it had been substrate swapped and switched over to a sump/overflow filtration setup.
The plants are finally settling in after the nasty BGA outbreak and 2weeks of maracyn it had. (same time period!)
I also switched one of the odno T8 F15 's over to a 67K 28w pc. WHat a difference! I will switch the other tube over when my bulb arrives for a total of 56 watts pc with mirro reflectors.
So for these fry had a mini cycle, bga, predators, maracyn and a light swap. These are truly miracle fry...
Once I get the 2nd pc light I will do some new planting and aquascaping and post a pic.
long post sorry
Botia)

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:31 AM

thats awesome, my friend got some ciclids to breed and i inherited some alot of them. so yeah, breeding fish is cool.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 04:34 AM

I have a dozen or so praecox fry right now myself... They are about 4 days old right now and have only lost about 2 of the 15 I netted from my 90Gal. This is my second go-around with raising praecox fry -- last time I almost exclusively fed them the Hikari First Bites. This time I am going to feed them baby brine shrimp as well. I still have 2 from that school which hatched about 6 months ago, and they are still doing great.

One observation I discovered on IDing the species... It's fairly easy to tell a praecox fry from other rainbowfish fry... When the light catches them just right, you can see the blueish glow in their eyes -- the same glow you can see in the adults. Just thought I would share that.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best of luck.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode