Imports from Singapore - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Imports from Singapore

One of those things that has never made sense to me is that we can get plants, shrimp, etc. into the US from Singapore, but not from Canada?? What gives? So much for NAFTA...

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
And you think the NA in NAFTA stands for North American!? I've had my share of run ins with customs on both sides of the border. NA is for...your choice:

Need Another
Not Advisable
Nearly, Almost
Not Allowed

And with the current US/Canadian climate and exchage rate, doesn't seem to be improving. I travel there to Toronto and Montreal at least once a month for work, and the customs forms leave a lot of room for interpretation...

All I have to do is have a laptop bag with me and I have carry our client's contracts to be allowed into Canada - wasn't like this when I first started going there...my line of work falls under NAFTA "After sales service" clause...matter of fact, one customs agent pretty much threw a copy of the NAFTA guidebook at me for knowing about the law...

Can't we all just get along...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I know the feeling. I can buy legal cigars in Canada and can't bring them back across the border.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I say we eliminate the border between Canada and the US, adopt the socialized medicine, convert to the metric system, and make....well...I dont know what we'd do about government...because I dont even know what position runs Canada...(Prime Minister?) besides the point....I give up..

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I say we invade Canada with bad movies and every american genre of music, and then beat them at their own sport (hockey). Then, when we have broken their spirit, we just start drilling for oil in their wildlife refuges. If it is good enough for the US, then it is good enough for our backyard (Canada).
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:47 AM

Wow!

I can't decide if that's hilarious or disturbing... I think I'll go with hilarious. I really like it under that category
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
I say we invade Canada with bad movies and every american genre of music, and then beat them at their own sport (hockey). Then, when we have broken their spirit, we just start drilling for oil in their wildlife refuges. If it is good enough for the US, then it is good enough for our backyard (Canada).
-Aphyosemion
Geez... Then maybe we'll get the US to buy our beef.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Heh, we now have just as many cases of mad cow disease as Canada (one, I think), so why not?
I was just kidding about starting an invasion, by the way. We started that a long time ago.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
Heh, we now have just as many cases of mad cow disease as Canada (one, I think), so why not?
I was just kidding about starting an invasion, by the way. We started that a long time ago.
-Aphyosemion
Same here about the beef. I thought it was a funny reply for a hilarious comment.
LOL. Just makes you wonder what our two countries would be like if we kept the politicians out of it.
I sometime wish we had better access to the US market as far as aquarium stuff is concerned, without having them sit in customs for days on end. ( My first order from Greg Watson sat in custom for over a week)
I'm afraid to order plants as they'll probably be mush by the time they get here.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg
I sometime wish we had better access to the US market as far as aquarium stuff is concerned, without having them sit in customs for days on end. ( My first order from Greg Watson sat in custom for over a week)
I'm afraid to order plants as they'll probably be mush by the time they get here.
No kidding! Someone here successfully ordered shrimp from the US, but it really sounds like a crap shoot to me...

Kathy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Invasion Plans

Please see the Movie Canadian Bacon for informaiton.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
It's all in good fun until someone gets their feeling hurt.....

Take it easy guys!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
It's all in good fun until someone gets their feeling hurt.....

Take it easy guys!

Mike
Good point Mike.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Well this is an eye opener. I had always thought that the NAFTA sort of had the words Free Trade in there somewhere...

It sounds easier to get things from the US into Europe (or at least Switzerland). My order from Greg took a total of about five days to get into my hands and I assume most of that was shipping time.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, superfast delivery to the UK for me from Greg.

Top banana!

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode