55 gallon in remodeling process - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 gallon in remodeling process

Good morning everyone,

Thought I'd share some pics of my 55 gallon FW tank that I've decided to remodel. Yesterday I added 15lb of Shultz aquatic soil, and also added the huge base rock that is in the pics.

As much as I'm liking that look, I'm going to get a few more pieces later this week or this weekend, which I think will help with the asthetics of the tank. I'm running an Emporer 400, and I'm going to put a 125gph powerhead in to help the mid and bottom flow a little bit.

I'm also going to get many more plants to fill it in, and I'll have to upgrade the lighting. Right now it's terrible with just two 15w flourescent tubes for lighting.

I'm also going to add a CO2 system to it when I get the experimenting complete.

ANd yes I know there are too many fish in there. I'm going to weed some out when I get my 30 gallon hex tank setup.

And NO, the Windex bottle in the last picture is NOT in the tank..hehe.

Any other suggestions?? I'm all ears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:33 PM

Nice start,

If you don't mind, I would add a couple more stems into the tank (Yes, I noticed you are getting more plants too ). Your current plants are slow grows except the Anacharis, This might cause a problem when you change over to high tech.

The java fern needs to be tied to something to do better. But if you do like the look of it on the substrate, don't bury the rhizomes.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomE
Nice start,

If you don't mind, I would add a couple more stems into the tank (Yes, I noticed you are getting more plants too ). Your current plants are slow grows except the Anacharis, This might cause a problem when you change over to high tech.

The java fern needs to be tied to something to do better. But if you do like the look of it on the substrate, don't bury the rhizomes.
Thanks ThomE.

I have the ferns wedged next to the driftwood and the lace rock, but the rizomes are indeed above the substrate. If you think tying them to the structures will do better, I'll consider it. I guess I can use fishing line to tie them?

Also, what other type of stem plants would you recommend?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:08 PM

I used to have Java fern, I noticed it grew better in current. As for it being tied to a wood or in the substrate, I only have experience on the wood. So I can't answer that for you (I did use fishing line)

Stems, I would take a look on our sponsorís website and look at all the stems. Once you find a couple you like, post that you are looking for plant X & Y, anybody will to give some out for the cost of shipping.

I like a red tank, so my stems tend to be red. But some people prefer green, so it's best to see what you like. I just purchase some stems that have a green color on top of the leaves and red underneath. They are still getting use to my tank (that means, they aren't doing so well and I can't blame myself it )

I find most people don't really advertise that they are trimming their tank and just toss the extra plants, but they are more then willing to give away if they knew who wants some.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Nevermind the plants for a minute...what in the world is a bottle of windex doing in there!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
Nevermind the plants for a minute...what in the world is a bottle of windex doing in there!?
Quote:
And NO, the Windex bottle in the last picture is NOT in the tank..hehe.
But IMHO, I think Woody hates water spots so much, he add that to help remove the spots
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymdt
Also, what other type of stem plants would you recommend?
I'd suggest: Hygrophila polysperma, Hygrophila difformis, Ludwigia repens, Limnophila sessiliflora, water sprite.

Here are some threads on fast growers:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11427
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13388
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'll do some looking at the plants and make a post and see if I can get some takers to ship to me.

For those of you who have responded, if you have some quick growing stems and have the samaritans heart to help out a newbie...let me know and tell me how I could arrange to pay for your time and shipping costs.

Thanks again.

First off though, I have to get the lighting problem taken care of.

Not really in the budget to spend the money on a new lighting system...might have to look into building a plywood/flashing/ hood on my own.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
For those of you who have responded, if you have some quick growing stems and have the samaritans heart to help out a newbie...let me know and tell me how I could arrange to pay for your time and shipping costs.
I have some Rotala roundifolia, a mess of Pennywort (Hydrocotyle Leucocephala), and some Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis). The only issue is I don't have a 'samaritans heart' Ė but Iíll trade you for one . So I can't give them out (Joking, PM me if youíre interested)

As for lighting, I've been thinking of getting MH lighting. I think I saw a new 48 inch coralite lamp that has 2x150 mh w/2x96 cp & night led that can be suspended. For the total price of sub 700. I can't wait till my new tank comes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

well there is no way I'll justify that kind of money for a lighting setup.

I'll have to find a more economical way...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:

Take a look at the FAQ section read the thread Cheap Lighting, Give your self some time to get through it, as it is a beefy thread. But it is fairly simple and the results are very nice!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 AM

One thing that always makes a big difference is adding a background. Preferably black or dark blue.

I paint the back (outside) of my tanks.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=17
http://www.aquariaplants.com/lowlighttank.htm
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I really think in about three weeks or so I'm going to order the 2x55w lighting kit from AHSupply, and build the hood for it.

So far that seems to be the best economical way to get lighting on my tank.

Then I can start filling it up with plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode