My Hagen system is driving me nuts! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Hagen system is driving me nuts!

I have had the Hagen CO2 system for about two months now and I can't seem to get it to last more than 7-8 days before I have to mix a new batch. I use a recipe off of this site i.e. I fill to the first mark with sugar then fill to the second mark with water that has 1/4 teaspoon yeast dissolved in it. It runs like gangbusters for 4-5 days then drops off to nothing after 7-8. I use red star yeast but no baking soda due to the hard water I already have. I'm hearing some people are getting 3-4 weeks from their systems, what am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan
I'm hearing some people are getting 3-4 weeks from their systems, what am I doing wrong?
I got five weeks out of the first batch, but am having problems with the second. When the second batch didn't start producing bubbles after ten days, I added another batch of yeast, and have yet to see any bubbles, yet. I'm wondering if I have a leak in my line hardware...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:45 AM
sly

I've had no problems with my Hagen for 3 weeks now. The only blemish is the wierd stuff growing in the bubble output nozzle. The stuff builds up pretty fast !

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Planted Member

Do you shake the bottle a little? I do that on my coke bottle every few days.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:04 PM

hope you get that dialed in WF

"delivery inconsistency" is the reason my hagen system is still sitting in the box it came in

good luck!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
not too familiar with the "Hagen Co2" system, but I've done the DIY yeast method before and found that the yeast stays alive, and therefore produces Co2 for a longer time, if you put a little extra sugar in the mixture...it similarly produces Co2 at a faster rate, but for a shorter time-frame if you add more yeast. I hope this helps, but good luck in any case.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hey there--
per some suggestions in other threads (which i can't remember now and so can't link ) i have dissolved the brown sugar in water and then let it cool to room temp, then i add some dechlorinator (perhaps it is simply a rabbits foot) and then add the yeast and etc...someone suggested some honey, but i have yet to try it. brown sugar seems to last longer than white for me.
good luck!
kris

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:25 PM

the little grey canister for the Hagen kit won't put out much CO2,a nd it won't last more than 2 weeks. Taht's why so many people just get the ladder diffuser, and rig up some coke bottles for the CO2 generator.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have no problem with the Hagen system. Seems to work well for me.

I kind of think the problem may lie in the type of yeast you are using. Bread yeasts seem to work well for a while and then peter out. I have had great success using brewers and champagne yeasts. These yeasts are able to tolerate the high levels of alcohol that build up in the Hagen reactor (or DIY reactor for that matter.

What type of yeast is "Red Star"?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
the little grey canister for the Hagen kit won't put out much CO2,a nd it won't last more than 2 weeks.
It's not because of the grey canister...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
What type of yeast is "Red Star"?

Mike
It's another brand of baker's yeast, like Fleishmans and SAF.

I did an experiment a while back - I used corn syrup and water in one gallon jug, sugar and water in the other. The sugar and water took off immediately, the corn syrup took a few days to really get cooking, but was working well into the second week (I probably could have left it going another week but was changing batches so went ahead and redid it too - with sugar).

Realisticly folks, 2 weeks is about as good as it gets using sugar and bakers yeast, and that doesn't matter how large the container is.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:27 AM

it would b helpful to me if i could see pictures of the co2 set up
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Cool

I am using the Hagen kit. I have had no problems so far in 3 mos. Since I am still using the Yeast and stablizer that came in the kit that is all I can vouch for. It has last well into 5 weeks for each batch. Seeing the problems others are having with regular sugar and yeast I will more than likely get the refill packets and continue to use those. I thought I read somewhere to only use white sugar?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_the_c
It's not because of the grey canister...
What makes you say this? I have several years background in homebrewing, so I understand things like alcohol attenuation of various yeasts. The fact that the grey canister holds 50% sugar, 50% water, its going to reach lethal alcohol levels for any type of yeast before all sugar is consumed.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrflye
I am using the Hagen kit. I have had no problems so far in 3 mos. Since I am still using the Yeast and stablizer that came in the kit that is all I can vouch for. It has last well into 5 weeks for each batch. Seeing the problems others are having with regular sugar and yeast I will more than likely get the refill packets and continue to use those. I thought I read somewhere to only use white sugar?
I also use Nutrafin's Activator ans Stabilizer. I'm getting at least 30+ days with great consitency .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode