noob CO2 questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
noob CO2 questions

Hello folks..

Thanks for all the useful info you have provided me with so far.

I hope that one day my tank will look like some of yours do.

I have a couple of question that hopefully someone will be able to help me out with.

I have a 52 UK gallon (240litre) tank

1. I have made a DIY CO2 thingy using a yeast/ sugar mix and two 2 litre bottles that seems to be recommended on the forum. The only difference is I've fed it into the venturi of a powerhead (i haven't had time to make a reactor yet). It's been going for two days now, how many bubbles per second should I be looking to get out of it and for how long?

It must be doing something as my ph has dropped from 7.0 to 6.8 and seems to have stabilized at that.

2. I am using the CO2 in conjunction with KENT freshwater ferts (just the all in one bottle), when should I start to see an inprovement in plant growth/algae reduction.

My nitrates are at approx 20ppm and phosphate off the scale at >5ppm (it's in the tap water)

My lighting is the stock x2 38 watt T8 tubes with reflectors.

If anybody has any feedback it would be much appreciated.
Sorry for the long post

Last edited by Miner Willy; 03-27-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: bad spelling and grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:14 PM

You might see plant growth in the next few days, but your lighting is a bit low. I'm not sure how much Co2 your bottles put out...it varies widely depending on the mixture you use, temp of water the yeast was added to, the kind of yeast you use, execÖ

Whatís your KH at? You can use KH in conjunction with your PH to determine your PPM Co2...

I'm not sure how much algae reduction you'll see with your water parameters. You might actually have more Co2 then your plants can use because of the low light, which will cause an imbalance and Iím almost positive you have more phosphates and nitrates than your plants can use, which is another imbalance. Any imbalance in your parameters has the potential to cause algae...the more things are imbalanced the more algae youíll see. Try using a phosphate sponge to get your Phosphate down to 2...that might help a bit. Another thing you can try is to get some fast growing plants in your tank (AKA nutrient sponges)..Water Sprite (Wisteria?) works great for this.

The general rule is 10 parts nitrates to 1 part phosphate. With your nitrates at 20, you should try and get your phosphates down to about 2. Co2 works good to control Algae at about 30PPM, but this really only works once you are above 2 watts per gallon. Your lighting is about 1.5 watts per gallon, so less Co2 then 30PPM will probably be better.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Cheers for the info azinuth,

I can work out my KH without any problems but how do I work out the CO2 level from there?

Also any suggestions for getting the phosphates down? Preferably natural methods as opposed to adding chemicals, as I'm not a lover of dumping them into my water.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can get a Phos-Zorb pillow that will bind phosphates. But first, check your bottle(s) of ferts to make sure they are not the source of your high phosphates. You might consider reducing your feeding. The fast growing plants will help as well. Since your lighting is low some floating plants might help; just don't add so many as to block the light to the other plants.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Cheers.

Will have a look and try some floaters Jart.

Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Don't make the same mistake I did...donít buy duckweed thinking it is a great floating plant...this stuff is just as the name says. A weed... Once you have it, you will always have it unless you do some very meticulous picking.

Here is a good place to find out your Co2 level biased on your PH and KH.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
He also has a ton of other great information and itís worth reading through some of his pages.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very true Azimuth. I have used duckweed in the past in an attempt to lower phosphate. However it was confined to a breeding trap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode