30 gallon hex tank questions/problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
30 gallon hex tank questions/problems

Hello all,

I have an Oceanic 30 gallon hex tank that is empty right now because of past problems I've had with it.

Whenever I've set it up and put plants and fish in, no longer than two weeks it gets very white cloudy, and I can't figure out why?

So here's my request of you veterans. If someone would take the time to take me through a new setup of a 30 gallon hex tank, I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to set it back up, but I want it to look nice and not have the hassle of getting frustrated when the water turns white again.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'll be running a Tetra tec filter, measured for up to 40 gallons, I'll have to add lighting to get up to 3.0 watts per gallon for the depth of the tank.

I'm going to use Shultz aquatic soil and latarite as the substrate, and I'm thinking this time I'll get a small powerhead mid way down to help with mid and bottom flow??

I'd like to make it a planted tank, with possibly one show fish, and a school of neons or something.....haven't figured that out just yet.

So, those of you who wish to help out, you have a clean canvas...help me fill it up...hehe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:15 PM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Planted Member

White milky water is bacteria bloom. Very common in newely setup freshwater tanks. It clears up automatically in few days to few weeks. I does not hurt the fish/plants or you tank cycle.

You can avoide that by not adding too much food in the tank first months or soo. Adding a powerhead early will help also.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

A buddy of mine suggested that before I set this tank up again, that I should bleach it out and scrub it down really well...just in case there is any residual on the glass anywhere??

Any thoughts?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymdt
A buddy of mine suggested that before I set this tank up again, that I should bleach it out and scrub it down really well...just in case there is any residual on the glass anywhere??
If your tank has been dry for a while, it's probably not that big of a deal. Unless you have stuff still stuck to the glass, you probably don't need to use bleach. If you use bleach, make sure you rinse well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymdt

Any thoughts?
If it's been sitting dry for a few weeks I would say no, a rinse is all you will need. If it was me doing this, I would set it up with some good lighting. Then add a few trash fish (guppies and such, no gold fish) and a few of whatever cheap plans you can find at the local fish store (LFS). Then just let it run for a few weeks before I would make any changes.

I would also set the temp very high like 83 dir or the first few weeks. To force any bio-reactions that is going to happen, to happen quickly. But that may my own personal preference. Others may not agree with this approach.

Then I would turn the temp down and make whatever changes I wanted, slowly. Until I got the look I was after. Then, I would replace the trash fish with whatever I wanted.

Then, and only then, would I crack open a beer and sit back and enjoy it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pharo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Will do ......thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:41 PM
FMZ
Planted Member

If you're going to go highlight, purchase this light

http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

make sure you buy the bulb with 6700K bulb listed there. You'll have to buy the bulb as they wont swap it out. You can sell your extra bulb on ebay. I have been running the same setup with great results.

Also, my suggestion is to start your tank out with LOTS of fast growing plant such as Hygrophila Polysperma.

Later when u get more experience, swap it out with some nice hard to grow species.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode