Wieghts for Riccia !!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
Wieghts for Riccia !!!

Hi there everyone...

Alright after looking at Momotaro's tank and his beautiful riccia foreground...I decided to first try it in my 29 gallon and then after its success I would switch my glosso foreground in the 75 to riccia as well....The reason being at first I started with great glosso growth....then it exploded and spread...then it started growing on top of each other and some lower leaves start to rot....in another situation...when my background plant grow all the way to the top of the water surface....it block light for certain sections of the glosso carpet..dont get me wrong...it still looks good...but too much maintainance....

Now back the the riccia....I bought this plastic grid from a crafts store ( the ones that is used for knitting etc and has square holes in 'em ) cut out rectangular pieces off and sandwiched riccia in between ...tied all foru corners with nylon thread....its working great but you still need to wiegh it down....I just threw a lil substrate and spread it on top...and the riccia grows through it...

What i was wondering is....I tried to find stainless steel rods everywhere to no avail..... I found a few zinc plated objects...and was wondering if it is safe to use ..

any ideas ??

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
negative ghostrider
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOAGART
negative ghostrider

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did you try looking up your local welding supply store. They will have it and if they don't they will know where to get some. Also, look around for steel supply companies. You aren't going to find that stuff at most home depot's or Lowes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 04:33 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
FISA--when I was trying riccia, I used some plant weights that looked like heavy wire that came on an order from lowcoaster. They worked really well for small patches. I see in another post (swap-n-shop section post on plant weights), that he sells the weights separately on aquabid. If they come precut to the size I got, they will work well for small patches (say 1"X 2"). If they come in a roll where you cut them yourself, then you'd be able to make whatever size you want.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 04:39 PM
baj
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
FISA you could also use stainless steel washers and sew them on to the underside of the mesh. You can find these washers at any hardware store under plumbing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ooohh.....thanx a lot guys ...a lotta valuable info you guys gave me...

since i already have the mesh....
Thanx for the great idea baj!!!! all I have to do is tie some stainless steel washers to the mesh ..instead of throwing substrate on it

why didnt I think of that

Ehiem Pimp # 88

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
You could try contacting a local machine shop. They should be able to get stainless steel rods for you. They would probably cut them to length for you as well.

You can get small bits of stainless steel rods from www.smallparts.com. They are a good source as well.

If you do get stainless from a machine shop, be sure to clean it well with a good degreaser. I have found the stainless I have gotten from the machine shop has been covered with oil/grease and needed a really good cleaning.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I might be able to get some stainless rods...what diameter and length are you looking for? let me know

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanx Momotaro and GraFFix ...

Hey Momotaro...I was looking at smallparts.com ... if I were to get some....what diameter do you think...and what length should it be cut ?

thanks a million!

Ehiem Pimp # 88

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Oh gosh! That was a while ago. I believe it was the 3/32" rod. One foot long would do the trick well.

Go back to that part of my journal, FISA. I think I mentioned the thickness there.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds good Momotaro...heading there right now....

Thanks !!!

Ehiem Pimp # 88

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode