biospira?'s - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
biospira?'s

Setting up my 46gal bowfront today. How soon after adding Biospira do you add the fish? I want to put in a school of 25 or so rasboras, 2 adolfi corys, and 2-4 angelfish. Who do I put in first?

Thanks, Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Add the fish first, then the BioSpira.

If you add BioSpira first, they will have no ammonia & nitrites to consume. So add the fish, then the BioSpira a day or two later. It does indeed work, within 24 to 48 hours.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's incorrect (and a common misconception), Bio Spira and the full load of fish you intend to keep must be added at the same time.

Be aware that there have been many posts on the various hobby boards around the net about Bio Spira not working like it used to. As you may or may not be aware, Bio Spira was not available for most of 2004 due to Marineland Labs claiming that their supply had nearly run out due to its popularity.

Since it has been re-introduced in 11/2004, many people are saying that they are getting spikes of ammonia and nitrite, with the tank taking 7-10 days to cycle. It used to be instantaneous with no spiking at all.

It's still much better than 30-60 days however, IMHO.

If you get an instantaneous cycle post and let us know!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used the product 3 or 4 times with my own and another person's tanks and have not observed instantaneous cycling, but it never took more than 48 hours. Of course, that was early 2004, before the product became temporarily unavailable.

On the occasion when I added the bacteria and fish at the same time to a new tank, I used only half the biospira package, then added the other half the next day, after the fish had a chance to produce waste. Because I don't know the lifespan of a Nitrospira bacterium in 75-80 degree water with no food source, I cannot say whether that was necessary or not.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater

Last edited by EricSilver; 03-23-2005 at 07:14 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Biospira at 24 Hours

Interesting. The fish [a motley collection of fish I happened to have on hand--didn't want to chance expensive fish] went in @ 12 hours before the Biospira. 24 hours after that, my ammonia is 0, my nitrites are barely measureable, and the nitrates are top of the scale. The fish are all fine.

Thinking it may have cycled.?.... wondering if I should do a water change at this point?

Figgy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you have a little bit of nitrite and there is nitrate present, you have cycled.

Sounds promising! Most threads I have been reading lately report a small to moderate spike of ammonia and nitrite and no nitrate for 5-7 days.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
Hi there figgy...when I used Brio spira....I put 3 fishes in my 75 gal...for 24 hours...even put some fish food in basically my plan was to cycle the tank normally since I didnt have a lotta plants for the tank at that point....but anyways I put bio in 24 hours later...
It claims to cycle the tank in 24 hours...I did a water change a week later...

4 months later...my tank looks great and all the fishes I put in intially and later are great!

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

At the 48 hour mark, here. Pretty sure this tank has cycled! Did a 25% water change last night and the chems all look the same, a little lower on the nitrates. The fish look fine.

That was just TOO easy--I'm a believer!

Fig
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used BioSpira on my 55 and it was cycled in one day, its miraculous!

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I used it in my puffer tank and I put almost a whole small pack into the 10 gallon tank. I think it was like 2 days later that the nitrites spiked HUGE. I mean it was almost off my tetratest charts. So I did a 40% water change and they lowered to a good level. I had to do 30-40% water changes in the morning and at night for like 2-3 days to keep the nitrites down. There was also a small amount of ammonia but it wasn't too bad. So be sure to have your test kit ready and test daily for the first week or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode