Try to help you help me by first getting everything in my tank currently out of the way, please let me know if I leave something out.
Current tank specs
Running not quite 2 months
2 HOB Aquaclear 30
Standard generic walmart gravel
10 Harlequin Rasbora 2 Large Wisteria
6 Peppered Cory 1 Small Wisteria
2 German Blue Rams 1 Small WaterSprite
2 Bolivian Rams (temporary) 2 Small (I think) Mayaca
1 Honey Gouramis 2 Small Anubias Nana
1 Oticinclus 2 Small Java Fern
1 Medium Anubias Barteri
0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
10 ppm Nitrate
5 ppm Phosphate
Been dosing Flourish Excel daily and 1/2 recommended dose of Flourish mid week and full dose immediately following weekly 30% water change.
I just received my order of KH2PO4, CSM+B and KNO3 from GregWatson.com and have all of the components of a pressurized CO2 system in hand except for a 5lb tank (Having trouble finding anything smaller than 20lb locally) and a pH controller which I haven't decided if I actually want/need yet.
I have purchased a 55g aquarium that all of the above is eventually going to end up in, but I can't set it up until August. I plan on using Fluorite or Fluorite/Sand for that and will probably use something closer to 4.5wpg on it, but I wanted to get a feel for everything on the 29g in the meantime.
OK, sorry that was a mouthful and if you made it this far I apologize for the long read and want to thank you for even considering helping me out.
Here are my questions.
- Am I right in assuming that I should not dose the KH2PO4 and KNO3 until they are actually needed?
- Is 5ppm of Phosphate normal considering the tank has only been running 2 months, and the lights and plants are less than 1month or am I probably overfeeding?
- I know how to use Chuck's planted aquarium calculator to calculate KH2PO4 and KNO3 doses, but how can I find out how to calculate how much Plantex CSM+B I should be dosing right now? Any tips for me on this?
- From what I've gathered reading forums, my KH appears to be rather low. Should I bring this up via Crushed Coral before I begin to add CO2 and if so, how high should I go?
- If I don't add crushed coral, would a pH controller be the only thing that could help me avoid a pH crash, or would it be inevitable?
- Do you recommend a pH controller either way since my water is soft?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.