Some better than none? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some better than none?

What would happen in a tank of 90 Gal, with a sugar/yeast CO2 unit built for a 30 Gal tank??
Would the plants benefit at all? I know they obviously wouldn't benefit as if they had a CO2 unit built for the proper size tank. But would some CO2 be better than no CO2?
Dr. J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, some is better than none at all.

Sugar and yeast is relatively inexpensive to build. Why would you not want to have more setup if you are making DIY CO2?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Yeah, instead of having one bottle of yeast and 1 ladder, use 2. Another thing is that if you get a reactor, you will have a much more efficient CO2 diffusion. One 2-liter bottle of DIY yeast hooked to a reactor was nearly as efficient in my 75 gallon as a 10lb bottle of pressurized CO2. I highly recommend this reactor:
http://aquariumplant.com/cgi-bin/cart/pr374.html

-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
This may be a "duh" question, but if you use a reactor like the one you linked to, do you also need a ladder or does the reactor do sit in the tank and serve the same purpose? And I assume that in such a system you adjust the amount of sugar and yeast to adjust the CO2 level that comes out, or is there some other mechanism for adjusting?

One other question -- my tank stand has a shelf built into it, making it so that a 2L bottle wouldn't stand up underneath the tank. Any good alternative, other than having the bottle outside the stand?

Just another newbie trying to figure out what I need to do to get started on CO2...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

DIY CO2 is so easy to do. Outside the powerhead it should not cost you more than $10.

As far as powerhead, I like Aqua Clear 301. It has a built-in flow control. That way way you can fine tune it till your CO2 is completely dissolved.

https://www.plantedtank.net/co2.html
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I agree that some is better than none, but I had problems with my wife's cats playing with the co2 line and knocking over the bottles or pulling the line out of the tank, I am still waiting for the furry little bas. . . to fall in and drown jk

so I had to go pressurised. . .darn, which I am still getting everything together for.

I also recomend using juice bottles with the wide mouths instead of 2 liters
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of something professionally made like this
CO2 Unit

I know there are DIY models, but I honestly don't know if I trust a soda bottle. I have heard of these things eventually exploding. The only creature I worry about around the house is my wife. She would KILL me if I messed up the walls, and I really don't want to go into a pressurized system.
I just thought a little CO2 might help a bit, although not at optimal levels.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 PM

Some better than none?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr J
I was thinking of something professionally made like this
CO2 Unit

I know there are DIY models, but I honestly don't know if I trust a soda bottle. I have heard of these things eventually exploding. The only creature I worry about around the house is my wife. She would KILL me if I messed up the walls, and I really don't want to go into a pressurized system.
I just thought a little CO2 might help a bit, although not at optimal levels.
I saw a large display tank at the LFS with 2 of those units running in it. I'm sorry - no idea what size, but it was big. The plants looked fabulous. For whatever that's worth!

Kathy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:16 PM

If you're worried about pressure building up too much (which i've never encountered) you can put an airline T connector between the airline and put a rubber nipple on remaining side. If the airpressure gets too high, it'll blow it off .
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use a single 2.5 gallon jug for my DIY CO2. I add 8 cups of sugar, 1tsp yeast, 1tsp baking soda and fill with about 2 gallons of H2O. It works great on my 75 gallon, I change the mix after a month.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

The only reason I was thinking of one of these units in the first place is that I was only going to stick with low light plants since I am going to run about 1.8 WPG

What kind of lighting are you guys running?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:52 PM

I'm running DIY on a 100 gallon low light tank and it has really helped the plants. I highly recommend co2 for low light. I'm running 2 2liter bottles into a diy reactor. It's a pita sometimes, because DIY is inconsistent, but when it's working properly, it drops my ph from 7.6 to 7.0 and I figure I'm getting around 20 ppm of co2. It's definitely worth a try because it only costs a few bucks to get started and you have nothing to lose really. I wouldn't buy a co2 kit, that's just money you could put toward a regulator for pressurized, which you will probably want eventually on a big tank.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I ran DIY CO2 for over a year on my 100 gal tank, and it worked well. It's just more maintenance than filling up a CO2 bottle twice a year. But CO2 is CO2, and sugar and yeast are cheap.

I had three 3 liter bottles going into that, and each week I would change the oldest one. Levels were not great, but enough for wonderful plant growth. 10 to 15 ppm...

100% dissolving CO2, no surface agitation, and low light and ferts are conditions to make that work on a large tank like that. My water is relatively hard (10 deg), with softer water you might get away with less containers.

Skip the Hagen setup because the container is way too small to be useful for a tank that size. Exploding bottles only happen if you shut them completely which isn't something any sane person would do. The soda bottles are made to resist pressure, so under normal sane conditions there is no risk of explosions. Sensible mind also suggests to inject the CO2 pressure-less into the tank, that is, don't use an inline reactor or airstone etc. Just let it gently bubble into whatever you declare reactor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here is a good link for DIY C02 http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

I used the bulkhead method described in the link for the 2l bottles and it works very well. All the materials cost me five dollars at a local RC store.

I'm running 2, 2L bottles with a Hagen Ladder and it pumps out a bubble a second but the ladder seems to have a little trouble keeping up with that rate. The bigger bubbles seem to catch up to the smaller ones and then race up the ladder not dissolving like they should. Something like Aphyosemion suggested I'm sure would be much more efficient.

My 2L recipee is,
1 tsp yeast
2 cups of sugar
dash of baking soda (if you have soft water)
Warm water to where the bottle begins to taper.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Without wanting to get into multiple or pressurized CO2 units, would adding something small like that Hagen unit/or a small DIY system noticeably affect my PH levels, or any of my other parameters?
{ Planning ~1.8 WPG over a 90 GAL tank }

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode