Challenges for a big tank/how to aquascape a big tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Challenges for a big tank/how to aquascape a big tank

Hi,
I am thinking about upgrading my 100g to a 180g. I was wondering how does someone aquascape a big tank? Are there unique challenges with large tanks?
Thanks.
-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
biggest challenge I can think of is, can't reach the bottom of the tank! So carpet plant would be harder to maintain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

I'm setting up my 62 gal Oceanic...55 just taller. I don't really want to set it up due to the lack of width front to back. I have plans to setup a 75 or 90 I guess this will give me a feel as to how the extra height will effect the ability to work on low foreground plants...I hadn't considered them that short and in saltwater tanks never had a problem with tanks until they got over 24" deep.

Your point might be worth considering with the really short stuff seen in planted tanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't have long arms and have enough challenge already on my 100gallon. But eventually I want to setup a 400gallon 30" tall tank. Maybe short crypts are more suitable for foreground since they spread slower, lower maintanance.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I'll have to use a chair to reach down into the tank, especially the back. It going to be ilke when I was in jr. high cleaning out my 18" tall 55 gallon.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are you going to plumb some automatic water change system? Otherwise, another challenge is you need to spend more time changing water Make sure you start with enough plants initially(that's a LOT for a big tank), to avoid algae issues during the initial phase, but that's not a problem if you join SFBAAPS and go to one of the plant swaps Higer utility bills is another challenge If you decide one of the fish is unsuitable, catching it is another challenge when your arm span can't cover the whole tank

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Invest in scuba gear first
I am a big fan of wood, but finding the elusive piece that will fill it properly will take some searching, unless you want to spend a small fortune on a piece of wood. Then, unless you want to follow standard techniques and create the book look, throw some bigger plants in the forground, not too broad a leaf, but on one side, a thicker low plant, maybe something like Anubias lanceolata, or maybe something like red variety of Echinodorus, but they will grow larger, but unless you really want the traditional look, go a little different in my opionion. With that much space to work with, if you don't like it, you can change half a side of the tank around till you like it. And make sure there are some colors in there to add more depth.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:40 PM

Given my tank is 24" deep I invested in a set of 18" scissors - they have come in very handy - expensive, but handy - but you cant take it with you
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the tips and heads up! I cant wait until I start planting it!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ray, is it another acrylic tank? you know what I am thinkinng

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresalt
Given my tank is 24" deep I invested in a set of 18" scissors - they have come in very handy - expensive, but handy - but you cant take it with you
that's true, got a place to buy it online? but even more useful would be long tweezers for planting.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I got the Toms tong device from bigalsonline . It has a scissor and claw attachment for the end. It works pretty well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode