Question about Backgrounds (Probably a dumb one!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question about Backgrounds (Probably a dumb one!)

I purchased a plastic background sheet for my tank -- the blue on one side, black on the other side Penn-Plax sheet. I have double-sided tape all set to affix it, which I've heard is the way to go. (Any other opinions?)

My question is -- I need to trim it to fit my 29 gallon tank. Do I trim it to fit the glass precisely, or do I trim it a little larger so that I attach it to the black plastic trim on my tank at the top and bottom? I'm assuming I should trim it to attach to the plastic so the adhesive doesn't show through the glass at the front, but before I cut, I figured I would ask.

Also -- do you put double-sided tape along the vertical edges as well as top and bottom? I'm guessing that there, it would be hidden by the silicone in the joints and that taping all 4 sides would be more solid, but again, thought I'd ask for other people's experiences.

Any other tips for attaching the background? I feel like I'm really taking the plunge to serious-planted-tankdom with the background!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:15 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about Backgrounds

No dumb questions! You just want to get it RIGHT! (I felt exactly the same way - and still ask questions that I worry about!) Check out this thread...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...lue+background

Good luck and welcome!

Kathy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I was just looking at that blue/black stuff on Saturday. I was debating putting it on my 75 gallon because the windows in my house are HUGE and all the plants are curving towards the side of the tank instead of the top. Problem is that crap is like $2.69 per foot, which is like twenty bucks just to stick some black stuff on my tank. Painting the tank isn't an option though, so I was thinking maybe some of that black construction paper you get at Walmart? I don't know, that stuff might get all soggy and gross. Maybe I should just stop being cheap and buy the plastic stuff.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I use a sheet of black with black-edged foam core board. One sheet fit my 37g tank prefectly. I used 3m double sided clear removable mounting squares to attach it to the tank.
I get a little insulation, and I get my black background, and it is removable.

Picked it all up at office max or depot...don't remember which, but both carry it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some people use a small amount of mineral oil between the glass and plastic backgroun, but I found that to be messy and not very attractive in the long run. Paint is good.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use the plastic sheet that is reversible. I just hold it on with scotch tape on the tank frame. I like to change the background alot so I won't paint the back of the tank.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:52 PM

Speaking of backgrounds, check out this effect I achieved simply by attaching the background to the wall instead of to the tank:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisGuy
Speaking of backgrounds, check out this effect I achieved simply by attaching the background to the wall instead of to the tank:
That looks FANTASTIC, and that stump is pretty sweet too!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
I use a sheet of black with black-edged foam core board. One sheet fit my 37g tank prefectly. I used 3m double sided clear removable mounting squares to attach it to the tank.
I get a little insulation, and I get my black background, and it is removable.

Picked it all up at office max or depot...don't remember which, but both carry it.
You can also get sheets of foam insulation at most home improvment stores, which should be cheaper than using office supplies. You would probabally want to use a laytex paint, as spray paint might melt it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
I got it installed -=- thanks, everyone, for the tips. Once I get some decent lights on the tank and more plants, it should start looking pretty good!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Glad to see you got the background installed. I've always wondered why the plastic backgrounds (even the pre-packaged ones) never come with any instructions...

Just thought I'd chime in because I just installed a background called "Oceanvisions" yesterday. It comes in a variety of colors, is self-adhesive and basically installs like window tint. I'm very happy with the results, and have attached a couple of pics. I bought it from www.aquaricare.org

I did some poking around and ran across the following thread by bomber, where he mentions he used the vinyl that sign painters use for his tank. Based on his description it sounds remarkably like the "Oceanvisions" background, and I wonder if the two are the same material. If so, this might be good relatively inexpensive background solution.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12319

-Jeremiah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backgroundrear.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1038  

Name:	backgroundfront.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1039  

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Algae Grower

Wow I really like that stuff. Is that the black or the really dark midnight Blue?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Planted Member

Very nice driftwood crshadow !! Where did you get it from ?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
ThatNewGuy, the color of the background is black. Although it's funny you mention midnight blue because I was undecided between black and dark midnight blue when I placed the order so I actually ordered one of each just to be safe. Below is a picture of the midnight blue next to a remnant of the black.

pk-sd, thanks for the compliment on the driftwood. The one on the right is actually made up of two seperate pieces. I got both pieces from Ebay on separate occasions. I try and find nice pieces there from time to time. Although "Buyer Beware" is always the name of the game on Ebay.

-Jeremiah
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oceanvisionsblueandblack.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1045  

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I bought a yard of felt for about three dollars and it was enough to do my 46 gallon and 10 gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode