Just a couple Co2 questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just a couple Co2 questions

I have sort of a 2-part question. I shall try hard to not ramble on and on with many uncecessary details.
...Ah, I will never forget my first fish and his dazzling gold as he flowed in that perfectly round little bowl of sparkling clear water. It mesmerized my childhood eyes...
Yuk, yuk...
But seriously, folks.

Again, here is my Co2 reactor: http://www.plantguild.com/html/power_reactors.html
At Friday's w/c I decided to switch out the little submersible pump. I had a brand new one in box of a different name brand from the little Rio pump. Mainly wanted to switch out b/c the new one was a prettier color.

I noticed that it just wasn't blasting along the way the little Rio had. Decided for sure that I would go back today, which I did. But before that, I checked my Co2 which was down to 18
Do you think it was that low because of the gutless pump?
Or do you think it was because...

A few days ago I decided to shut off the Co2 at nite. It is now on the same timer with one of the bank of lights.
Lights/Co2 come on at noon and shut off at 10:30 pm.
It was 4:45 pm when I got the reading of 18 today. The other day I got a reading of 30 toward the end of the evening. But I wonder how many hours per day I am actually getting enough Co2. Hopefully tomorrow I shall take readings all the live-long day. Joy.
I guess all I really needed to say is, is 10 1/5 hours enough light and Co2?

For those of you who hangied-dangied in there, thank you.

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question: Do you ever take out the foam and rinse it clean? I see the foam at the bottom, I am guessing it is there to keep CO2 in until dissolved.

I have one somewhat similar to yours, less the foam. I tried with stronger pump and find too many bubbles blown out of the tiny reactor before dissolving in water. Then I switched to a mini pump that is pumping out like 20G/H and everthing is great afterwards. For all I know, as long as the top portion where the CO2 is coming in is turbulent, CO2 will dissolve.

If the new pump you are using is gutless like mine, I am guessing it's not pushing water out through the foam as fast as the Rio. Which could be the reason you are not getting enough CO2 into the tank. If the foam is dirty/clogged, the gutless pump would have a even harder time pushing water out of the chamber.

If you noticed bubbles won't make it down far enough to even touching the foam, maybe you could try and take the foam out, allowing freer flow of water.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My guess would be turning off the co2 at night. I use DIY co2 and I get a starting co2 level at around 45ppm, and ending at about 25 ppm. Without the build up of co2 at night(ph swings ) my co2 levels will not be sufficient for whats needed throughout the day.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I agree that the change is turning off your co2. The vast majority of c02 loss is from gass excange, which is increased by surface agitation, but also not effected by light.
if you turn c02 off at night, and on again with the lights then when your plants have light and and start to photosynthisize, (I know I cannot spell to save my life, sorry) they are starting with less co2 (high ph) and you have to work over time to get it up to a decent level lowering your ph.

Personally, I would leave it on, however if you must have it on a timer start it at least an hour before your light comes on to get the co2 levels to where the plants need them. This wont help the ph swings much though. You could also have an air stone run for a couple of hours at night to dispurse some co2 if you like
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
If I get to low of a pH drop over night I aim the spraybar on my Emperor directly into the water to help disperse xtra co2.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank you.
I only recently put Co2 on a timer. I had decided to raise the Co2 to around 30 because I'm seeing some algae cropping up. I feel safer turning Co2 off at nite if I'm gonna raise it too much.
I have a bubble wand that comes on Ĺ hour before the lights shut off. I used to rely on it when the Co2 ran all nite. I hate to remove it now because the fish love to in it.
I think starting up the Co2 a couple hours early sounds like a good idea; why didn't I think of that?

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode