Cheap UV unit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheap UV unit

Found this UV unit at a local lfs (SuperPet) today.
I don't know if anyone seen or used them before but I decided to give it a shot.I bought the 9W unit. The price is certainly attractive $55 CDN for the 9W and 100 for a 24W.
The only draw back that I can see is that when the bulb burns out you have to replace the entire bulb housing as it is a sealed unit. The lfs did not have the bulbs in stock yet so replacement cost is unknown.
Installed it tonight to help fight my GW, I'll keep the tread updated as to it's performance.

http://www.aa-aquarium.com/NewProduc...ne_id=&level=3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
See Ebay for units.

Regards,
Tom Barr

[email protected] Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

First review.

Well it's been 48 Hrs since I set up the unit in the tank.
So far I'm really impressed. Water is the clearest I've seen in the last three months. It still has a way to go mind you but, it definitly coming along.
Before:

After 48Hrs

Pros: Price is hard to beat.
Unit is compact and can be hidden easily behind plants.
Since it has it's own pump it does not require inline connection to canister, therefore can be used with HOB or similar filters and, can be easily moved from tank to tank.

Cons: So far the only thing that comes to mind would be the replacement bulbs. Lfs still has not received them so price is unknown, but because the housing is sealed the entire unit ( minus the pump ) has to be replaced

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 AM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Because your tank is still so very green try taking the UV unit out again and rinsing it well to make sure all the light is hitting the water that is passing through it. They get dirty and need cleaning just like anything else.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 AM

I found a UV unit on clearance at Pet World for 55 bucks. The only reference to a model that I see is that it's 10 Watt and for Aquariums and Ponds. It has a huge ballast with wires going to either end cap, and it uses regular 14 inch bulbs, so replacement is easy. I donít know what the normal price was, but I figured for 55 bucks I'll give it a try. I bolted it under my stand and ran it through the output of my 2026 Eheim. It's been hooked up for a little over 2 days now and I can't tell a difference....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

96 Hrs Update

I'm really impressed with this unit. This has to be the best 50 buck I invested in my tanks so far.
Water has cleared up considerably. Still a bit fuzzy when looking through the tank lenghtwise.
After 96 Hrs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Nice. Ive been struggling with GW for quiet some time now. I didnt really do much to correct the problem until yesterday. I left it for say two weeks and did the normal 25% change per week. Yesterday i did about a 100% wc and althought the tank isnt completely clear but it sure does look a lot better.

If i can find a unit as cheap as this locally I would definately snatch it up.

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode