Moving crypts and other plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Moving crypts and other plants

As I have learned what will and will not grow in my tank, I have gotten away from aquascaping and now just have a jungle of mixed plants growing. I'd like to pull them out and redo my tank.

I know some plants like crypts do not like to have their roots disturbed but still want to move them.

Can anyone recommend a way to move plants or should I just dig them up and replant them and hope for the best?

Any information is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
There are a couple of different trains of thought and "methods" for moving Crypts.

Personally, I believe in pulling up the entire plant, giving the roots a good trim, and replanting in the new spot.

Trimming the roots should make the plant easier to replant, and also encourage the plant to throw out new roots once it is replanted.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a way to move plants or should I just dig them up and replant them and hope for the best?
I'd also like to know about this subject?

Squid, please tell me why you have gotten away from aquascaping and just going for the jungle look? A jungle look can be aquascaped, I read somewhere that some Dutch style aquariums are based on a jungle look. Do a Google or A9 search on Dutch styles you might be pleasantly surprised not everyone has to go Amano

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 PM

If you trim the root's on some plants don't they die?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:29 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
My experience with crypts has been melting if they are pulled. What I would normally do with crypts is to remove all the other plants first and then "plow" the crypt into its new position, subbstrate and all. If you do this the crypt won't even flynch. Then replant all your other stuf where you want it.

Marcel
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby2boy
I'd also like to know about this subject?

Squid, please tell me why you have gotten away from aquascaping and just going for the jungle look? A jungle look can be aquascaped, I read somewhere that some Dutch style aquariums are based on a jungle look. Do a Google or A9 search on Dutch styles you might be pleasantly surprised not everyone has to go Amano
baby2boy,
I did not plan the jungle look. Actually it is the result of a few years of trial and error. I was always buying plants to see what would grow and what would not grow.

So I have a few anubias, some java fern and a bunch of plants that I can no longer identify. A few strands of new stuff here and there to experiment with and now I have a bunch of stuff growing in no particular order at all. Picture a green bowl of spaghetti! LOL

Now that I have been reading this site, and doing some more experimenting with water testing and fertilization, I want to rearrange the tank into a more normal look such as grouping similar plants together.

Momo and Mlemay,
Thanks for the tips. The crypts are one of the plants doing really well and I actually have about six or seven nice sized bunches of them that I'd like to move from the corners into the center.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Most plants come in a fiberglass-like material that everyone says to remove. I believe this is a mistake. Leaving it in place protects a good percentage of the roots in the event you have to move the plant.

The even sell them seperately - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4931
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

RE: Moving crypts

Have only had crypt melt once on either the wentii or the parva, and thats when I originally brought the two home (second time i purchased some parva no melt -go figure). After that I've moved the whole lot more than a few times, and once I moved the whole lot from a 5g to a 20g allong with all the flora and fauna, no melt. What I did do is dig a pit for each of the wentii and lay out the whole root into the pit and then bury most of the plant with a handful of substrate, just as you would a sappling in your back-yard. The melt is a water / light condition thing and isn't "bad" as it's merely an adaptation of the plant to it's new parameters (retuning / refitting itself), and before you know it new leaves have grown in. The parva I just roughly (as in not gentle) jam it into the substrate diagonally and use a bit sprinkled on top to keep it down until roots grow, as it's boyant enough to leave you frustrated over the weeks of time it takes for roots to hold it down.

some stuff in a tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode