Need advice on upgrading - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Need advice on upgrading

Hello all!
Right after New Year's, I will be setting up a 30 gallon tank. My goal for this tank is that the plants and fish that are currently in my 10 gallon tank will be moved to the 30 gallon, and I would like to buy about 7 each of corydoras habrosus and corydoras pygmaeus to add to it as well. (NOTE: Due to shipping costs, I will be getting all 14 corydoras at once) The shrimp and plants that are currently in my 5 gallon tank will be moved to the 10 gallon tank.

Here are the links to the profiles of the two tanks I have set up:
10 gallon: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=2769
5 gallon: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=2940

My question is: what is the best way to accomplish this goal?

1.) Set up the 30 gallon, add filter media and plants from the other tanks, add some shrimp and wait for it to cycle. Then, move half the fish from the 10 gallon over, wait for things to stabilize, move other half of fish. Immediately after removing the fish from the 10 gallon, add the corydoras to the 10 gallon and use it as a quarantine tank. Then, move 5-6 corydoras to the 30 gallon at a time.

2.) Set up the 30 gallon, add filter media and plants from the other tanks, add some shrimp and wait for it to cycle. Add all 14 corydoras to the 30 gallon and use THAT tank as a quarantine tank. Wait to add any other fish to that tank until the quarantine period has passed. Then, gradually move the fish from the 10 gallon to the 30 gallon.

3.) Same as 1.), but use both the 10 gallon and 5 gallon as quarantine tanks, splitting the corydoras up so that there are 4 in the 5 gallon and 10 in the 10 gallon.

4.) Other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Set up 30g, add filter media and plants and wait for it to cycle. Do not put any fish or shrimp in till it is cycled as you will likely lose them when ammonia or nitrites spike.
Once everything is stable (4-8weeks, probably sooner with a large plant load) then slowly add the new residents.

BTW what does the GSR in your username stand for? By chance does it have anything to do with my username?

Semper Fi
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Set up 30g, add filter media and plants and wait for it to cycle. Do not put any fish or shrimp in till it is cycled as you will likely lose them when ammonia or nitrites spike.
Once everything is stable (4-8weeks, probably sooner with a large plant load) then slowly add the new residents.
I agree. With lot's of plants! When the Ammonia and Nitrite hit 0, and the Nitrate jumps a bit your golden.

Also, the Colby Wal-Mart has plants sometimes.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No matter what, I plan on moving the media and the plants to the new tank and then letting it cycle before adding fish. I really want to know how I should go about adding the new livestock. Do I move everything to the 30 gallon and then use the 10 as a quarantine tank or do I put the new fish in the 30 and use it as a quarantine tank while everything else stays in the 10?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Using filter media from your established tanks will help immensely. You can even just rest your new filter media in your old tank for a couple of days, let bacteria colonize it, and then put it on the new tank, that way you wouldn't be taking anything away from your established tank.

In that couple of days of it being in the tank, fill your new tank up with water, dechlorinate it, plant it, etc, this will give it time to make sure the new filter is running properly, and for the temperature to stabilize. Then add the filter media and let sit for a a day or so and this is where I begin (slowly) adding fish, and have never lost a single one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian_cowgirlGSR View Post
No matter what, I plan on moving the media and the plants to the new tank and then letting it cycle before adding fish. I really want to know how I should go about adding the new livestock. Do I move everything to the 30 gallon and then use the 10 as a quarantine tank or do I put the new fish in the 30 and use it as a quarantine tank while everything else stays in the 10?
If you move the filter, the "tank" is cycled. I'd say 90% of the nitrifying bacteria live in the filter, not the tank itself (though there will be some on the glass, rocks, wood, plants, etc, but not a whole lot).

After moving the filter media, I'd say put all new livestock into the new one, then later add the other livestock from your established tanks.

a 40g reef
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post

BTW what does the GSR in your username stand for? By chance does it have anything to do with my username?
The GSR in my username comes from my horse's initials: Gabrielle Stormy Reminder.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
If you move the filter, the "tank" is cycled. I'd say 90% of the nitrifying bacteria live in the filter, not the tank itself (though there will be some on the glass, rocks, wood, plants, etc, but not a whole lot).

After moving the filter media, I'd say put all new livestock into the new one, then later add the other livestock from your established tanks.
That is what I was wanting to know. Thank you!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian_cowgirlGSR View Post
The GSR in my username comes from my horse's initials: Gabrielle Stormy Reminder.
Okay, I was thinking something completely different.

Semper Fi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode