LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
PH what do you keep it at?

I have been keeping mine at 7.3

It it goes above 7.3 the CO2 kicks on
If it goes below 7.2 the CO2 kicks off

My drop checker is nice green color and been staying that way for a few weeks now.

Just wondering what everyone else keep PH at? Or is it based on the fish/plants you have?

Last edited by Jim_PA; 12-07-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: error with PH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Mine out of Tap is about 7.3, with co2 it stays around 6.8

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have 5 tanks running and haven't tested pH in at least a year.

If you're adjusting your CO2 with pH you just need to be sure that your pH and/or alkalinity doesn't drift over time.

Both on and off both set at 7.3 has me confused though, must not be on much. I'd think at least a full .1 differential would be required.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
I have 5 tanks running and haven't tested pH in at least a year.

If you're adjusting your CO2 with pH you just need to be sure that your pH and/or alkalinity doesn't drift over time.

Both on and off both set at 7.3 has me confused though, must not be on much. I'd think at least a full .1 differential would be required.

Typing to fast I guess, should have been 7.2
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
5.8, controlled by Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller.

De-gas (48hours) tank water is at 7.0.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
mine out of the tap is 7.6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
I honestly haven't checked the pH in any of my tanks in several months. I think my tap water is like 7.4 or something like that, so most of the tanks should be close to that.

a 40g reef
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Mine's at 6.7-6.8 at the end of the CO2 injection period.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I stopped trying to mess with mine. Too much time and too much money. My Ph is whatever comes out of the tap, 7.4 ish around here. I tried to lower it to "help" some fish once that liked lower Ph, ended up chasing it up/down and all over the place and lost a couple fish in the process. Forget that.

Unless your're buying exotic wild fish, the fish at your local petstore are probably living in the same crappy water that comes out of your tap, lol.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unless the pH drops significantly when the CO2 is on, you don't have much CO2 in the water. If the pH drops by .5, from 7.4 to 6.9, for example, you have tripled the amount of CO2 in the water, but if it starts at 3 ppm, that means you only have 9-10 ppm with the CO2 on. For low light tanks that is a big help to the plants, but for moderate and high light tanks it is probably not enough to keep up with the plants demands.

To figure out how much the ppm of CO2 increases by observing the pH, just use your calculator to calculate 10^delta pH ( ten raised to the pH drop power).

Hoppy
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I stopped trying to mess with mine. Too much time and too much money. My Ph is whatever comes out of the tap, 7.4 ish around here. I tried to lower it to "help" some fish once that liked lower Ph, ended up chasing it up/down and all over the place and lost a couple fish in the process. Forget that.

Unless your're buying exotic wild fish, the fish at your local petstore are probably living in the same crappy water that comes out of your tap, lol.
I don't think the OP is "messing" with pH for the fish. Rather, using a pH controller to turn CO2 injection on or off. Well, that's what I'm doing at least.

Basically, when you inject CO2, you bring down the pH. (Very few?) folks like me and the OP use a pH controller to keep injecting CO2 until the pH is dropped to the level where we think it corresponds to the appropriate CO2 levels in the tank. As a guideline, dropping pH by a full point means you have 30ppm of CO2 in the water (assuming that the water stabilizes at 3ppm CO2 without any CO2 injection). Using a pH controller set a certain pH, you are injecting CO2 up to a certain point, then the controller automatically stops injecting once that point is set -- that point is theoretically where the pH is dropped by the desired CO2 ppm. This is real-time and IMO better than relying on bubbles per second or a drop checker.

That is, of course, assuming that your tank water pH, outside of CO2 injection, isn't changing. I regularly have to put aside tank water in a bowl and let it sit to de-gas for 48 hours to check what my "baseline" is - this stems from my tap water being 7.6-7.8 earlier this year, and a little less than that this time of the year. Also important to note that the pH probe needs to be calibrated every 3-4 weeks, at least in my application.

On a side note, this pH drop is also often discussed here on whether or not it is harmful to fish and inverts. Some folks say it is ok, some folks say it isn't. So far my CRS indicate that it is ok, but I'm still waiting for them to breed before I can finally say with 100% confidence that it is fine.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
I don't think the OP is "messing" with pH for the fish. Rather, using a pH controller to turn CO2 injection on or off. Well, that's what I'm doing at least.

Basically, when you inject CO2, you bring down the pH. (Very few?) folks like me and the OP use a pH controller to keep injecting CO2 until the pH is dropped to the level where we think it corresponds to the appropriate CO2 levels in the tank. As a guideline, dropping pH by a full point means you have 30ppm of CO2 in the water (assuming that the water stabilizes at 3ppm CO2 without any CO2 injection). Using a pH controller set a certain pH, you are injecting CO2 up to a certain point, then the controller automatically stops injecting once that point is set -- that point is theoretically where the pH is dropped by the desired CO2 ppm. This is real-time and IMO better than relying on bubbles per second or a drop checker.

That is, of course, assuming that your tank water pH, outside of CO2 injection, isn't changing. I regularly have to put aside tank water in a bowl and let it sit to de-gas for 48 hours to check what my "baseline" is - this stems from my tap water being 7.6-7.8 earlier this year, and a little less than that this time of the year. Also important to note that the pH probe needs to be calibrated every 3-4 weeks, at least in my application.

On a side note, this pH drop is also often discussed here on whether or not it is harmful to fish and inverts. Some folks say it is ok, some folks say it isn't. So far my CRS indicate that it is ok, but I'm still waiting for them to breed before I can finally say with 100% confidence that it is fine.

Hi everyone thanks for the feedback, that is correct using pH controller to turn CO2 injection on or off. Just trying to find happy level for my tank, I only have plants in my tank right now, which is planted very heavy. No fish yet, but I plan to get fish in the next week or 2 so trying to make sure I have everything set.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Algae Grower

ph level

hi there i am fairly new to this forum ,i have a 55 gallon planted tank
with c02 injection , i have had a hell of a time getting my drop chker to change colors from blue to green. with a ph level at 6.8 at time of turn on of c02 to approx 6.4 to 6.2 when c02 has been on for a few hours . that was also at 2-3 bps , i have been tweaking the c02 level to try to change the drop cheker , last n ite i acheived this drop chker changed from blueish to a green with a slight yellow . ph dropped to 5.8 fish acting normal . but teh bps has been raised dramitcally to prob 6--8 bps
any thoughts
thanks
tom
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
Yea, whoops. Might have been a small coffee high. I'm using Co2 on one of my tanks, but at a level that I know isn't enough to worry about wild Ph swings. I under-do everything, light, Co2, fert...etc.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I have been keeping mine at 7.3

It it goes above 7.3 the CO2 kicks on
If it goes below 7.2 the CO2 kicks off

My drop checker is nice green color and been staying that way for a few weeks now.

Just wondering what everyone else keep PH at? Or is it based on the fish/plants you have?
whats your ph of your tank water when it sits out over night out of the tank
that will give you an other reference
at 7.2 shut off , unless your water is in the 8 plus range you dont have much co2 in your tank. the drop checker solution may be off
also there can be a big differance in co2 levels, from a drop checker being a nice green color, to going on yellowish green

i keep dropping my ph controllers on threshold. down to 6.37 now
and im probable going lower then that.just lowering it slowly
degassed it sits in the 7.4, 7.8 range

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode