Working at a LFS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Working at a LFS?

Anyone on that works in a fish store? Thinking about applying to my LFS because I love the hobby and figure I may as well work somewhere involving a hobby of mine.

How is it? Does it kill the hobby for you at all?

People working at other places but in a similar situation feel free to chime in as well.

Just to get it out of the way, no this is definitely not a career choice for me but just something to make money while I attend school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I assume as with any job, you might not to be around it at home as much. lol. I fix xboxes and playstations in my own business and since I started that, I don't play games anymore. That's why I have tanks, its something different to work on after work and not think about consoles for another 14 hours.

I used to work at a fairly high end restaurant that had North American winning ribs. After eating them for 5 years, they weren't anything special. Friends would want to go out to eat and suggest there and I'd be like uggggg.

You just have to try and separate it I guess and despite having to clean 60 tanks in a day, still worry about doing WC's on your tanks at home and not think, blah, I don't want to work on my tanks todays. You also have to refrain from saying, no I don't want to sell you this fish cause I don't think you can take care of it, or you're stupid to be running that filter on that tank and smile and sell, its retail, that's your job.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I assume as with any job, you might not to be around it at home as much. lol. I fix xboxes and playstations in my own business and since I started that, I don't play games anymore. That's why I have tanks, its something different to work on after work and not think about consoles for another 14 hours.

I used to work at a fairly high end restaurant that had North American winning ribs. After eating them for 5 years, they weren't anything special. Friends would want to go out to eat and suggest there and I'd be like uggggg.

You just have to try and separate it I guess and despite having to clean 60 tanks in a day, still worry about doing WC's on your tanks at home and not think, blah, I don't want to work on my tanks todays. You also have to refrain from saying, no I don't want to sell you this fish cause I don't think you can take care of it, or you're stupid to be running that filter on that tank and smile and sell, its retail, that's your job.
I was thinking about that aspect too...if I spend all day maintaining someone else's tanks I may not want to do anything with mine. Thankfully I just have a 20L and a MINI-L and both of them are low maintenance shrimp tanks that just require small partial WC's.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Idk if I could do it. I'd have to knowingly sell fish to people who are completely clueless.

I overheard a conversation in my local petstore between the owner and some patrons...long story short, the owner says "no, you seriously don't want to put an Oscar in that tank."

Later that evening I saw the same buffoons buying an Oscar at Wal-Mart.

I'm not going soft, I like Oscars and have no issues feeding them live fish...but I know the results, these folks where clueless.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I worked at a pet-shop in Texas for a year and a half before going to college. Our specialty was exotics and aquatics. I loved it, after about a year I was practically running the store (opening and closing everyday, placing orders, managing others). It definitely didn't kill the hobby for me, if anything it made it more enjoyable. At the store I could help customers set up their own planted tanks, offer advice regarding planted tanks, not to mention I could cheaply get my hands on almost any plants and equipment I wanted. I was also allowed to set up a planted display tank, the owner paid for all equipment and livestock I wanted for it no questions asked.

I say go for it! If you love fish, you will love working at an LFS. The first few months may be a little rough, but once you have earned the respect of your boss and co-workers everything works out well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
I've worked at my LFS (Inland Aquatics) For going on to years now, and I love it. It doesn't kill the hobby at all. Plus, it gives you access to all kinds of cool stuff. I've gotten some pretty cool stuff from work, that otherwise I wouldn't have access to. Plus, discounts are nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
No LFS work here, but I work with cars. I very much enjoy cars and building my own.
I like it as I have made tons of contacts and hook ups as far as where to get this or that, or cheap places to get these.
Any field you work in with the general public you will have to deal with complete morons who aren't smart enough to realise that there wrong/don't have a clue what their talking about. Be it an LFS, mechanic shop, or which rifle scope combo really works.

Semper Fi
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Any field you work in with the general public you will have to deal with complete morons who aren't smart enough to realise that there wrong/don't have a clue what their talking about. Be it an LFS, mechanic shop, or which rifle scope combo really works.
Well said!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode