Pleco Poop! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Pleco Poop!

After my bn pleco passed away a few months back, I started to have a bad problem with algea covering my plants. I bought 2 plecos (gold spotted something?, not supposed to get any bigger then 6") at about 3 1/2 - 4 inches each. They quickly cleaned my plants and the tank looks great! Problem is they poop like crazy! I'm sucking the poop off the top of the sand eery other day, and the amount is just horible. I know its there's because I never had the problem before, and its long and dark brown, the other fish poo is short and almost a orange color. What can I do?

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think it's something you can stop. Maybe they'll stop pooping as much when there's less for them to eat. I think plecos are known for having long and large volumes of poop. Maybe a smaller algae eater will have smaller, more sightly poop?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Fish eat......then they poop. Pleco poop just happens to be verrrry long and visible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My BN never went ths much, maybe its because there are 2 of them. Once they get bigger Ihad planned on moving them to my 125, hope they grow fast with all that algea to eat!

46 Bow Front Planted
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Isnt it good fertilizer for plants?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (46/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Isnt it good fertilizer for plants?
To some extent, yes. But build-up often occurs faster than absorption by plants and leads to high organics and nitrates in the water. Plus just being visually unappealing.

Anyway, that's part of keeping plecos is the very visible pleco poop. Never understood why people rely on plecos as clean-up crew given their output. LOL!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Only fish I knew of that could keep the plants clean. I have some that are slow growers, and those are the ones that get heavy algae. I was cleaning them off by rubbing the leaf between my fingers, but they do a better job. ;-)

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I may be wrong, but I think bristlenose plecos are the only ones that stay small?

Anyhow, the poop is unavoidable. They need to have algae wafers as the main staple in their diet, and should be offered vegetables like zucchini a couple times a week. Algae alone will make for a very sad hungry pleco It is also recommended to keep driftwood in the tank, plecos like to rasp the wood and the fibers aid in digestion.

I would agree that a plecostomus makes a terrible clean up crew.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have LOTS of drift wood in the tank, and already feed wafers and zucchini for the fish already in the tank. If not plecos, what would you recommend?

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Otocinclus might be a good option for you - particularly when it comes to keeping the leaves of your plants clean. Avoids the issue with the "long sausages" left behind typical of plecos.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is this something I could find at my LFS?

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankLover View Post
Is this something I could find at my LFS?
Definitely. I see you're in Chicago - tons of places you can find them. Petsmart will carry them (assuming Petco as well or the other pet franchises that I can no longer recall the name of since I moved out of Chicago years ago). And you'd find them at Old Orchard, Old Town Aquarium... anywhere. You'll want to select from fish that have been in their care for a little while so that you have a better chance of getting fish that are already accustomed to eating zucchini/algae wafers/algae in captivity. They can be tricky to get acclimated from wild import and to get them to eat in captivity. But otherwise, they tend to be very good algae grazers and remain small so you can stock multiples. Lots of discussions about them will show up if you do a search for Otocinclus, Oto, or Otto in this forum.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode