Very sad day today - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Very sad day today

I came into my office and looked in the tank to see one of my plecos, both of my bala sharks and two cory's belly up. The other corys swimming very unusual and like they were drunk. Realized my CO2 was pumping like crazy and my pH probe was reading 5.10 The solenoid didn't shut my CO2 off it was just pumping and pumping - I took air hose and was running it through my power head to create little bubbles and try and oxygenate the water as best I could - the sharks are moving and breathing but I think they are already brain dead. The pleco is gone. The corys are kinda swimming again. My big pleco is acting like nothing happened, but I may have lost the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Sorry to hear man. Poor fish... Don't cheap out when it comes to CO2 assembly parts. May I ask what brand your solenoid was?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Sorry to hear man. Poor fish... Don't cheap out when it comes to CO2 assembly parts. May I ask what brand your solenoid was?
Yea - they suffocated to death :-(. I am highly oxygenating the water, I might be able to save most of my corys and the one huge pleco I have. The shark is still moving but I think it is brain dead, it is belly up and twitches - so hard to watch I am going to keep them in the water for a bit more though to see if they do recover, other wise I am going to have to put them out

I got a Milwaukee regulator/counter/solenoid kit. Not sure what the solenoid is but it has "H.T.P." on it and JBS on it. I just don't understand it - I also must have bumped the knob at one point because it was going a billion bubbles a second which I never set it for in case of tech failure

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (46/100%)
Aww, I hope you have more survival than you're currently expecting. My tank was gassed very badly a while back, too. And fish I thought for sure would expire turned out to be just fine. It just took them a while to come out of it. Really, it was a couple days for my plecos to stop flipping over onto their backs and for everyone to appear normal (and they remained normal and healthy and I ended up finding new homes for them because they wouldn't stop breeding!). I hope they're not brain dead - perhaps they just need more time to recover from the effects of the CO2. Wishing the best.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
that is terrible... i'm sorry! Equipment failures suck!
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Worst part is I can't move them to the other 30g I have set up because the ph is such a huge difference 5.10 compared to 7.81
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
my condolences.

Sent from my iPhone

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminiluna View Post
Aww, I hope you have more survival than you're currently expecting. My tank was gassed very badly a while back, too. And fish I thought for sure would expire turned out to be just fine. It just took them a while to come out of it. Really, it was a couple days for my plecos to stop flipping over onto their backs and for everyone to appear normal (and they remained normal and healthy and I ended up finding new homes for them because they wouldn't stop breeding!). I hope they're not brain dead - perhaps they just need more time to recover from the effects of the CO2. Wishing the best.
Thanks. The cory's have been through hell in back once before - so I have some hopes for them making it. They are just swimming funny, none are belly up anymore. I am pretty sure I lost my one bala - no movement at all, no gills, fins, nothing. The other bala's gills are moving and fins are flapping to keep him straight (belly up) but straight. The small pleco is fighting for its life. The large pleco is still just chilling as if nothing is going on. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
sorry to read this. less mess than a broken tank but equipment failure and critter losses always hurt. feeling for you dealing with this.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
You should really look into getting a quality CO2 setup that more than a handful of folks on here are selling nowadays. Milwaukee builds are like driving a Pinto. Simply put, you need something more reliable.

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
CO2 induced pH changes aren't the same as what are traditionally thought of.
Do you test GH, KH TDS?

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
CO2 induced pH changes aren't the same as what are traditionally thought of.
Do you test GH, KH TDS?
I did a little while ago to get my CO2 at the right levels. I forget what the readings were now.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So the hunt is on for my favorite fish My angel fish - I cannot find him anywhere. I have even looked outside of the tank, I just can't find him
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSidetrack View Post
So the hunt is on for my favorite fish My angel fish - I cannot find him anywhere. I have even looked outside of the tank, I just can't find him
I found him - he is buried deep in my huge amazon sword, twitching like crazy

Alright guys - what can I do to help the fish that aren't quite dead yet. I have turned off the CO2 completely. I have hooked up 3 forms of O2 injection into the water. I did a 10% water change (my tap water is so cold and I don't have an inline heater or anything). Is there anything else I can do to help them?
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am leaning towards putting them in the other tank. I understand the change in PH and all that, but it seems like it would give a better chance, at least for those moving some now (Angel, Cory's)

Bala I would let it play out....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode