Caton (Da Plant Man) has convinced be to start an emersed plant growth setup(s). Well, he convinced me to look into them atleast. I am always low on spending cash for my aquariums, and I would really like to experience growing emergent plants, so an emersed setup will kill two birds with one stone!
Since I have very little room in my bedroom, I am going to have to locate these things in my unfinished basement (which is a little problem...).
I think I am going to go the "Zappins" route, with the plants in Rubbermaid containers planted in potting soil. I am still not sure on what plants to grow, but I would like them to be easy to sell and profitable.
Here is a diagram of what I have in mind.
Here is a quick equipment list.
- 24" Hydroponics light fixture, 24w 6,700k bulb (2x)
- larger plastic containers (2x)
- small, shoe sized containers (8x)
- stand from 40 gallon breeder
- potting soil w/Osmocote(?)
How does that sound? I am not sure how large the containers I get will be. The stand that they have to fit on is probably about 44"(?) or so. If I get larger containers, I can probably purchase larger light fixtures.
As far as plants go, I am not really sure. As long as they are "cool" and profitable!
This leads me to a couple of questions...
- The setups will be in my cold basement (upper 50's* F). Will I need to add a heater to the tanks?
- Are the light's powerful enough? Or are they too much? Any ideas on better light fixtures for a good price?
- What plants should I grow?
- Should I add a small pump to keep the water moving?
I may add more questions later...
So, thoughts? Ideas?