Starting Emersed Plant Setup: Need Your Thoughts! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow Starting Emersed Plant Setup: Need Your Thoughts!

Caton (Da Plant Man) has convinced be to start an emersed plant growth setup(s). Well, he convinced me to look into them atleast. I am always low on spending cash for my aquariums, and I would really like to experience growing emergent plants, so an emersed setup will kill two birds with one stone!

Since I have very little room in my bedroom, I am going to have to locate these things in my unfinished basement (which is a little problem...).

I think I am going to go the "Zappins" route, with the plants in Rubbermaid containers planted in potting soil. I am still not sure on what plants to grow, but I would like them to be easy to sell and profitable.

Here is a diagram of what I have in mind.

Here is a quick equipment list.

• 24" Hydroponics light fixture, 24w 6,700k bulb (2x)
  • larger plastic containers (2x)
  • small, shoe sized containers (8x)
  • stand from 40 gallon breeder
  • potting soil w/Osmocote(?)
How does that sound? I am not sure how large the containers I get will be. The stand that they have to fit on is probably about 44"(?) or so. If I get larger containers, I can probably purchase larger light fixtures.

As far as plants go, I am not really sure. As long as they are "cool" and profitable!

This leads me to a couple of questions...

• The setups will be in my cold basement (upper 50's* F). Will I need to add a heater to the tanks?
  • Are the light's powerful enough? Or are they too much? Any ideas on better light fixtures for a good price?
  • What plants should I grow?
  • Should I add a small pump to keep the water moving?
I may add more questions later...

So, thoughts? Ideas?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
While I only have about 3 weeks of experience with an emersed set up I will try and answer a question or two.
Pump- I say that you don't really need any water movement at all since there shouldn't be more than 2 - 3 inches of water.

Lights- I think you should probably shoot for a bigger fixture maybe a 30-36 inch one. From what ive seen on the prices of some light fixtures a single T5HO can cost you about the same as a dual T5HO fixture so maybe shoot for that instead

Plants- that is a tough one as there are alot of plants people want. I say check the SnS for plants people are looking for most and narrow it down to 4 or 5 species. I personally say staurogyne repens 049 and other type of foreground plants. Maybe some of those rare crypts too

Heater- I Would think since you are covering the containers up that the heat produced by the light should be enough but I'm not sure
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I have my emersed 20Ls in an unfinished basement.

My best growth is in my 2.0 version.

Plants in 4" clay pots* 4" water, heater, Air stone opposite end from heater, Saran wrap sealed "lids". My 4 tanks are side by side. I run two Home depot 4'
shop lights $10 each with T-12 tubes. I buy in the contractor 20 pack for $20.

I bought these 24 tanks from a guy closing down his fish room of $5 a tank. Every week on Trash day i drive around the neighborhood and I pretty much see a tank a week that can be recycled.

Don't waste money on Osmacote or any frets for a emersed set up. If you have "clean" yard dirt (no Chemlawn) you can just use that. If not any potting soil will work.

I have 80degree air temp and 90% humidity my basement is about 65degrees. You can get a sheet of insulation foam and set the tanks on it. Them build a box around it with foam & duck tape. Or if you really want to hold cost, recycle packing foam from boxes in the trash. I saw a hyproponic site were the guy used packing styro peanuts in trash bags are insulation. Be creative this doesn't have to coast a lot of $$$ to grow plants.

*** Crypts don't like to touch roots of other crypts. Plus you can remove one pot without disturbing the other plants.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Jake,

Here is how I have my 40B setup. It's different from most peoples, but it has worked great for me!

Tank: 40B

Soil: Miracle Gro Potting Soil (Standard stuff, not the organic)

Lighting: 2x 96 PC's

Misting: I use tank water and try to mist once a day, but a lot of times I forget.

I add 1 cup per 5gallons of soil of DR Earth Fertilizer when I set my emersed tanks up. ( I just mix it into the soil. Then I take water from my aquarium so soak the dirt till it's spongy with now water on top.

I can get pictures sometime if you'd like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode