Safe (dry prime) water conditioner - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Safe (dry prime) water conditioner

just wondering how you dose your water properly usinf Safe.... i got mine but it didnt come with a measure!!! help. is there a way to mix it into a liquid state to make it easier to dose? how do you do it?

Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I think this is repackaged chloram-x.

Directions for 10 g and 50 g
To remove…
Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 130 L (35 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm)..
Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 100 L (25 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 32 L (8 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg.

So 100 mg per 35 gallons. By weight is best practice.

Don't make a liquid solution. Get a scale.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Chlorine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1625 L (450 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
Chloramine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
Ammonia: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm). Do not overdose!

So a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon would be good for 112 gallons. 1/8 would be fine for 56 gallons.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks overstocked! youve saved my butt! thank you

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Per Seachem Safe doesn't have stabilizers found in Prime, so I don't think you can leave it in solution for long periods of time (ie make a big batch and slowly use it).

Always curious.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thats odd it didn't have a dosing amount on it. you like it better then using prime?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

because we have such high volume of tanks running all the time its easier to have safe then constantly going out to buy prime. where im located the closest place to buy large bottle of prime are 2 hours away. the safe was donated to FINS (Fish in Need Society) which is a fish rescue and rehomeing service for fish who out grown their tanks or have health problems (oscars with hole in the head and stunting are our main rescues) i am a co-founder of the rescue and we have been doing it for just about a year now. believe me, we go through TONNES of prime and medication!

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Thats odd it didn't have a dosing amount on it. you like it better then using prime?
It's so much cheaper.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGrl View Post
because we have such high volume of tanks running all the time its easier to have safe then constantly going out to buy prime. where im located the closest place to buy large bottle of prime are 2 hours away. the safe was donated to FINS (Fish in Need Society) which is a fish rescue and rehomeing service for fish who out grown their tanks or have health problems (oscars with hole in the head and stunting are our main rescues) i am a co-founder of the rescue and we have been doing it for just about a year now. believe me, we go through TONNES of prime and medication!
Thats really awesome! sounds like it would keep you busy!

May have to see about getting some safe, I am all about saving money.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just got some seachem safe too to save money.

After dividing a few times I'm figuring that for a 5 gallon bucket of water, 1/64tsp would be enough?

I wrote to seachem and they wouldn't give me a direct answer. They just told me it's too concentrated to go down to that small of an amount. I'm thinking they just don't want to do the math.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I thought about getting some but wasn't sure I wanted to deal with measuring and weighing. Prime is cheap enough at $10 for 5000g worth of treatment, for someone like me that only has two tanks and changed maybe 40g of water per week to 10 days.

Might try the Safe next time I need conditioner though just to see.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

I can't find my calculations, but I use 1/8th teaspoon per 25 gallons. I've read other folks on the simply discus forum that use the same measure. I did originally measure the weight using my gram scale and I confirmed it with Seachem via their support forum.

BTW, I still haven't finished the first container of Safe that I purchased last January.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrard00 View Post
I can't find my calculations, but I use 1/8th teaspoon per 25 gallons. I've read other folks on the simply discus forum that use the same measure. I did originally measure the weight using my gram scale and I confirmed it with Seachem via their support forum.

BTW, I still haven't finished the first container of Safe that I purchased last January.

I think I'm going to try 1/32 tsp per 5 gallons of water just to be on the safe side.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave10910 View Post
I think I'm going to try 1/32 tsp per 5 gallons of water just to be on the safe side.
Ha! Safe side .

If my math is correct:

1/8 * 1/25 = 1/200 = .005 teaspoons per gallon

1/32 * 1/5 = 1/160 = .00625 teaspoons per gallon

I'd be surprised to find out that your measuring spoon is accurate enough for that thousandth of a teaspoon to make a difference. Especially since the product is...for lack of a better word...safe for double doses.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For smaller tanks, I just use Prime, 2 drops per gallon. Not worth it to try to use Safe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode