Water Movment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water Movment?

How much water movement should I have in planted tank? I have 1 return and drain, both connected via bulkhead, which is connected to canister, the water movment, so/so at the return, hardly any at the top/mid level of the tank. I have 2 power heads, both might be to much, was thinking one would be enough, question is should this be at the surface or several inches under the water as I am running CO2.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good surface aggitation is very important - particularly with pressurized CO2 added. However good circulation through out the tank is absolutely imperative in order to keep up a healthy planted tank. It's not so much about the quantity or power of circulation, as it is being sure that you have a consistent movement of water through out the tank, leaving no "dead spots" where problems will begin. If your surface movement is really dead then I would suggest perhaps using both powerheads. One should ruffle the surface (not too much - just a nice consistent ripple) and the other should be directed down. Be sure to position them so that they work together to get optimum current throughout the tank.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
Good surface aggitation is very important - particularly with pressurized CO2 added. However good circulation through out the tank is absolutely imperative in order to keep up a healthy planted tank. It's not so much about the quantity or power of circulation, as it is being sure that you have a consistent movement of water through out the tank, leaving no "dead spots" where problems will begin. If your surface movement is really dead then I would suggest perhaps using both powerheads. One should ruffle the surface (not too much - just a nice consistent ripple) and the other should be directed down. Be sure to position them so that they work together to get optimum current throughout the tank.
Thank you for the info, I have dead spots then for sure, though I still worry the power heads are to strong. I have 2 of the Hydor Koralia Evolution 750s, do you have any suggestions as to what I should get? This is for a 90 gallon tank 4 feet long. I hate to buy new ones, since I have these already and they cannot be returned, but if it what best I will buy new ones.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
two 750's is likely too much, you'll end up with a whirl pool. The smaller versions of these are not alot of money, I would buy new ones; maybe you could sell the ones you have.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 20long was having issues despite having 2 jumbo sponge filters and a Aquaclear 70 on it, and simply putting the Aquaclear on the end on the tank instead of the back has fixed it all. I even took out one of the sponge filters, all is good now. I had foamy water, cherry die offs, all kinds of problems.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think I am going to get 2 of the Hydro Koralia Nano 425 gph, or would those still be to much and need to go with the 240 gph?

Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have one nano along with an AC110 on my 75g and the flow seems decent. All the plants are moving but not too much. The HOB is on one end, the nano on the other.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode