idea for tank.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
idea for tank..

i have seen tanks in the store b4 with the corners blocked off cept just lil over flow slots so only the water could get back there for whatever equipment the costumor prefers, anyways my question is, is it recommended that i dont do this for my canister filters intake or what? i figured id block off a corner and have my heater,canister filter intake in there so only the water can get in, the reason i wanna do this is for the reason of planted being sucked onto the filters screen or whatever you wanna call it where the water comes in. this would alow me to really pack in the plants and not have to worry about the filter being messed with from the plants. any advice would be helpful thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Blocking a corner is ugly IMO. Takes up a lot of space too.

You can add some screen directly on the filter intake.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newplant View Post
Blocking a corner is ugly IMO. Takes up a lot of space too.

You can add some screen directly on the filter intake.
well on my 40b its deep enough to where i could prolly have plenty of plants covering up the blocked corner, ill find some black lexi glass so it blends in with my black back too

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
From what I've gathered you want some sort of in-tank overflow system. I agree with NewPlant, it's not a good idea. You can easily hide equipment with aquascaping materials and a nice background. Also, a canister won't mess with your plants. Assuming you set it up properly and don't have a gigantic amount of flow.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipariumGuy View Post
From what I've gathered you want some sort of in-tank overflow system. I agree with NewPlant, it's not a good idea. You can easily hide equipment with aquascaping materials and a nice background. Also, a canister won't mess with your plants. Assuming you set it up properly and don't have a gigantic amount of flow.
yeah i just hate it when my hob filters suck up a leaf from a plant thats a lil close to it and kinda restricts the flow thats why i thought of the idea
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarakiah View Post
yeah i just hate it when my hob filters suck up a leaf from a plant thats a lil close to it and kinda restricts the flow thats why i thought of the idea
So, you are worried that a leaf will get sucked into the filter and reduce the flow of the filter? What is the GPH rate on your HOB?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipariumGuy View Post
So, you are worried that a leaf will get sucked into the filter and reduce the flow of the filter? What is the GPH rate on your HOB?
cant find the specs atm though im running 2 whisper ex45s says they for 30-45gals i hate just leaving the corners a tad bit bare cuz of the intakes though whats everyone do just kinda make very tall plants away from the filters so hide them or do u guys put the sponge things over the intakes or trim the plants so much they cant reach the intakes? and yes im a total noob with planted tanks lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode