Why dont people use airstones to diffuse CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Question Why dont people use airstones to diffuse CO2?

Why dont people use airstones to diffuse CO2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
tired of replacing them. They dont last very long, they also don't break up the co2 enough.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so they fall apart? If so how long will one last? I have a 40 I want to start tonight but have to wait til next week to get my diffuser due to shipping and would rather not wait.

+
+
+

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Fall apart yes. When I did DIY I would have to replace it every week. SURE if its temp, go ahead..nothing wrg with that.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
so they fall apart? If so how long will one last? I have a 40 I want to start tonight but have to wait til next week to get my diffuser due to shipping and would rather not wait.
They last quite a while, problem is they are not the most efficient diffusion method. That said, I still use one and I jest feed it into the intake of a power head.

Using one is not the best way, but if you don't mind a little wasted Co2, go for it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It'll work but the bubbles it creates are larger generally then a diffuser. The wood ones seem to make a finer mist, at least the ones I made out of Basswood.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
They aren't efficient.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cool, all makes sense, thanks! Since I wont even need it for a week. Guess I can get back to work setting it up!

+
+
+

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
Cool, all makes sense, thanks! Since I wont even need it for a week. Guess I can get back to work setting it up!
Absolutely. FYI, I think they last longer if your not using DIY Co2...so, no worries.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

I've used the Lee's wooden airstone diffusers before with my 2-liter DIY CO2 setup. They can diffuse nice fine bubbles, but sometimes they produce much larger ones... it's kind of hit or miss.

Also, the wooden ones start gathering a few types of odd mold/fungus/biofilm-looking stuff after a while. Didn't seem dangerous particularly (I think some of my algae-eaters were going to town on it), but was aesthetically, not so great, and could be potentially a problem, I suppose.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

I could use my DIY Basswood version in SW for about 2 weeks and then the bubble would get bigger. But they only cost me about 25 each to make.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have pressurized, gotta try and tune the new tank into my 12 port manifold shouldnt be tough since it is the second tank that will b on it but who knows Ive never tried to balance multiple tanks jus kinda waiting for my diffusers. I just dont want to set this one particular tank up without co2. So Im gonna use some cheap airstones I have in stock.

+
+
+

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Will you have a NV for each line?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
t'll work but the bubbles it creates are larger generally then a diffuser. The wood ones seem to make a finer mist, at least the ones I made out of Basswood.
That is the most critical thing. The bubbles from a standard airstone are so big they simply go up to the water surface and disapate. The connection between the tubing and the airstone also is often not air tight and will leak out gas wasting even more.

But even diffusers that create a very fine mist of bubbles are not the most efficient. You still loose some gas at the water surface, and the ceramic disk gets easily clogged making much larger bubbles as a result. A "reactor" mixes the gas with water inside a chamber before going into the aquarium....no bubbles, no waste.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I have NV and CV's.

Ive thought about reactors, never really been my cup of tea. But mayb they have something decent on the market or something good in the DIY section. Ill have to check it out, cause it is a good thought. Are there reactors you dont have to plug in? I already run too many cords as it is.

+
+
+

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode