What should I do next? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What should I do next?

What next steps should I take on my tank? I've got the ol' eco complete substrate, some java fern doing pretty alright on the left there, some anubias that hasn't shown a lot of growth in the front, and some anacharis that hasn't been doing so hot in the back that I had to trim up and start over with healthy stems.

I'm looking for plant recommendations, I suppose. I'm looking for some height in the back right, which is what the anacharis was for, but honestly that plant is kind of ugly. Also, I have an HOB foam/carbon/bio filter that I suppose could be a hindrance... it's a 29gal tank, is it worth getting a canister, or changing something? I've been dosing API Leaf Zone, but that's it.

Also, where do you get your plants? I've only been browsing what the local Petco has... that anubias came in one of those gel packages. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111202_094221.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	38203  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would look at a Jungle Val type plant for the back right. Personally I love the accent they give in the back of the tank.

The tank looks nice, but like you seem to know it is missing something, and I think taller plants on outside and edges to "push the viewer back inside" is whats lacking.

Also - ANy Co2? If not, setup a DIY Co2 (Super freaking easy you have no idea) as it will make a HUGE Difference!

BTW - Go to the Swap n Shop/Power Sellers section on this site for Plants. WAAAAY better quality, better pricing, and much better selection for plants.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Just glue the java fern or anubias to the decor - this way you can have plants at any level in the tank.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is CO2 dosing worth it with an HOB filter? It's my understanding that breaking the surface tension with the waterfall just lets a lot of CO2 escape... so I guess my question is which should come first?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I agree with jungle vals. I have about 30 in one of my tanks and they really do set off that corner of the tank, I have a decent current in my tank from the sump return and it makes the vals sway very nicely.
I'm not sure how well co2 works with a HOB but I seem to be having reasonably good luck with a DIY system I have set up at the moment. My co2 is introduced through a powerhead in the sump, and I have noticed some impovement in the plants.

Semper Fi
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffheman View Post
What next steps should I take on my tank?

Remove the current background, go to the store and get a Black posterboard.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
Remove the current background, go to the store and get a Black posterboard.
or tear down tank really quick, can the back very good, and spray paint it, looks even better than a black background, plus if theres any scratches on the back it should hide them. i know some ppl use certain types of paint, i just used a 1 dollar can from home depot and it worked just fine, just be careful when u put ur hob filter on u dont scratch it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here are a few suggestions for taller, stem plants that have done well for me in tanks without co2. I do add Excel and have grown vals well. I start the Excel slowly and work up to the full dose, and the vals have not had a problem with that. I have never tried anacharis with it, though.

I have hygrophila polysperma (the green one, and also the one with the pinkish leaves, I believe it is called "sunset") and bacopa (both caroliniana and monnieri). I also have good luck with Amazon swords.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffheman View Post
Is CO2 dosing worth it with an HOB filter? It's my understanding that breaking the surface tension with the waterfall just lets a lot of CO2 escape... so I guess my question is which should come first?
I use CO2 with a HOB and my plants have been growing like crazy...much much better then before CO2.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've made some changes. Let me tell you... my tank walls are not clean. I've never really photographed before... I swear it doesn't look this obnoxious in real life, but I'd still like to know how you keep your tank walls so clean. I just have a cruddy brush that just scrunches the muck up together. So... tips there appreciated... particularly along the substrate, where I'm hesitant to clean forcefully. But I also got a used tank, and there's always been some buildup on the outside of the tank (on the left in the last picture) that I just can't clean off. All that aside, some pics.

Added Plants:
Wisteria (left side of tank)
Ludwigia (not really sure, see question below)
Jungle Val (back center-right)
Water Sprite (front right)
Mystery other plant

I removed my background in favor of black posterboard as well. DIY CO2 supplies on the way.

So, the guy at the LFS threw in some extra plants that happen to look very similar to my Ludwigia to the point where I don't know which is which. One has a green stem, the other has a red stem... can you tell the difference in the second pic there? Also, I'm not sure what species of Ludwigia it is.

Also, concerning my java fern in the third pic... is it normal to have the brown roots growing like crazy all over? They don't seem as out of control in other people's pictures... can I trim those, or would that harm the plant?

Lastly, I'm debating changing my hardscape... I like my rock arch that I constructed by throwing slabs of slate on the asphault... but it takes up a lot of floor space. I could remove a piece of driftwood as well, or put them both on one side of the tank.

Thoughts? I feel like it's coming along, for all my novice abilities.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tank 12_8_11.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	38493  

Name:	Ludwigia & Misc 12_8_11.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	38494  

Name:	JF and Wist 12_8_11.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	38495  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode