Covered or Uncovered?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Covered or Uncovered??

Is having a glass canopy cover on a low tech planted tank a good idea, bad idea, or doesn't it matter at all? I like the idea of fewer water changes and merely topping off, but for my uncovered 55 gallon i am currently adding about 5 gallons a week to keep up with the evaporation rate? Any thoughts or insight on this topic? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
After finding some carpet surfing fish, I have covers on all my tanks. They are all low tech and doing well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish View Post
After finding some carpet surfing fish, I have covers on all my tanks. They are all low tech and doing well.
How often do you do water changes?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I do water changes once a week. I don't loose a lot to evaporation it is mostly to maintain water quality. I have 7 tanks too!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should be more concerned about the fish with open tanks rather than the plants with a closed tank.

Just today I spooked one of my neons in what has been for the past few months an open tank and the sucker just jumped out right there in front of me - what nerve!

Needless to say, the tank is back to being covered.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I made a few topics about this very thing. I learned that even though a lot of people (myself included) love the ADA rimless look, we hate when fish die by jumping out. If you don't like it, then I suggest putting on a top. I'm not sure why this would be a bad idea... it may not look as good but neither does dried up fish on the floor. A top is always good as far as I'm concerned.

The question you may want to ask is if you want a glass top or to make a mesh top. I found with glass tops it will condensate and water will build up on there... no matter what your water level is at, too. The higher it is, the more it'll condensate. This doesn't look good but I'm sure it's fine for the plants. My solution was to make a mesh top that in my instance does a few things including stopping the fish/shrimp from jumping out, stopping my cat from drinking the water, and adding to the glass/metal look that I like on the tank.

I just made the top today and you can see some pics of it here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ml#post1616153
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Topping off is not a substitution for water changes - it does nothing to help remove toxins from the water.

Unless you keep the water level low then I would suggest a lid for the safety of your fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode