Spatula!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spatula!!!!

I'm buying some scissors from AZ Garden...

Their spatula or "gravel flattener" is on sale. Do I really need to have this to flatten the gravel and does it really work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Only if you have lumpy gravel

Why not buy a spatula from a dollar store. While you are there you could get a cheap potato masher for the tough spots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
ROFL! I use an ancient pair of scissors just for plant pruning on pain of death (house full of kids who think every pair of scissors is just the thing to go cut cardboard)

IME, gravel has a way of smoothing itself out, especially if you have bottom-dwelling fish like loaches, etc.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 PM

Spatula!!!!

Great idea with the potato masher, Clone!

On that note... I was just wondering about all this last night - the "tool thing." Before I actually planted my tank I would look at all those fancy, expensive tools on the websites and think y'all have totally lost your marbles buying that stuff. Planted less than a week and if I had the money - I'd be all over them! Which brings me to my point (finally). And blatant thread hi-jack.

Everybody please share your other "Dollar Store specials" as far as planting tools go. What to we newbies need to INVEST in and where can we improvise???

Thanks! Kathy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Well, I do have part of a set of salad spoons under my tank. Great for planting sword plants. I think I got them either at kmart or walmart at end of season prices. Maybe $0.50 for the set? Bought up a whole bunch of them too = the spoon part is great for serving. One found its way to my barn to mix up supplements for my horse.

I have a cheapy set of the plant tongs (I'm sure a kitchen set would work just as well), and the end of my algae scraper (penn plax I think) has a planting tool, not that I use either end. I like the kent scraper better than a sponge.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Everybody please share your other "Dollar Store specials" as far as planting tools go. What to we newbies need to INVEST in and where can we improvise???
Dollar store items puchaced for tank use: pointed tweezers, regular tweezers, eye dropper, measuring spoons, scissors, canisters for ferts, and hair nets for failed riccia experiments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

The coolest item for breeding fish is the turket baster. Moves up fry, change water, feed brine, instant current....

Moved to Tucson.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My father-in-law gave me some old stainless surgery scissors that have an angle before the hinge, which is great for cutting in tight spaces, underneath branches, etc. I also have two long tweezers, plastic and metal. The plastic are crap IMHO. Iím also a big fan of bare hands and fingernails, and Iím betting that many of you are as wellÖ
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
It's not really a dollar store thing, but I have this medical syringe type thing that is great for great for dosing liquid ferts. It's not the really sharp kind, I think I got found it in an old first aid kit. It is accurate to one tenth mL or CCM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I have an "eBay Special" pair of 12" hemostats that I don't think I could do without. I use them to plant stem plants, pick out loose leaves, push flourish tabs into the substrate and lot's of other uses that I can't think of at the moment.
I've got my eye's open for a pair of long scissors too. That reminds me to check eBay and see if I can find a pair.

edited to say...If I don't find a cheap pair on eBay, then off to AZ Gardens.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I have the expensive $50 set that comes with 3 scissors, 2 forceps and a gravel flattener. I got it for last Christmas. Surprisingly, I do actually use the gravel flattener once in a while. I wouldn't spend $20 on one, but since it came in the set, it is pretty handy.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:29 AM

Spatula!!!

Thanks y'all! Keep it coming!

Kathy (Heading off to find hubby's old hemostat. And maybe some vinegar or something to clean it. No - he is NOT a doctor... )

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode