newb forum? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
newb forum?

Is there a place for people that are new to this hobby such as myself? I want to ask the most basic of questions but I'm not sure where the most appropriate place to do this is?

Thanks for your feedback!

(originally posted this in the wrong forum somehow... go figure oops)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just post a thread on here in one of the forums! Someone will answer your questions and also just look around the site. You will MOST likely find your answers here. Oh and Welcome to TPT.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
Just post a thread on here in one of the forums! Someone will answer your questions and also just look around the site. You will MOST likely find your answers here. Oh and Welcome to TPT.
Thanks!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.morgan78 View Post
Is there a place for people that are new to this hobby such as myself? I want to ask the most basic of questions but I'm not sure where the most appropriate place to do this is?
Thanks for your feedback!
(originally posted this in the wrong forum somehow... go figure oops)
By asking you're already doing better than some.
Your job since you're here is to learn is to read the collected wisdom, separate fact from friction in the argumentative threads, and when you feel comfortable - start answering questions from people with less experience than your self. Accurately of course.
Don't worry too much about the last item. Someone will jump all over you if you're wrong.

The best tip I can offer is to learn to use the Search feature.
Since there have been over a million posts, most questions are asked and answered many times. Occasionally the correct answer evolves over time or someone asks a specific question in such a fashion that the answer requires amending. To me, that's a wonderful thing.

The next tip I'll offer is to say something is your opinion unless you're prepared to cite the source of something controversial.

In my opinion, essentially everyone who posts has been wrong about something, and been corrected. I know I have been wrong or my experience varied wildly from somebody else s. Other then the chagrin at being shown up as wrong, I've been happy to accept the help/criticism/correction. I came here, and stay here, to learn from people with more, other, or different experiences than I have. Or could have.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Your job since you're here is to learn is to read the collected wisdom, separate fact from friction in the argumentative threads, and when you feel comfortable - start answering questions from people with less experience than your self. Accurately of course.
Don't worry too much about the last item. Someone will jump all over you if you're wrong.

Since there have been over a million posts, most questions are asked and answered many times. Occasionally the correct answer evolves over time or someone asks a specific question in such a fashion that the answer requires amending. To me, that's a wonderful thing.

The next tip I'll offer is to say something is your opinion unless you're prepared to cite the source of something controversial.

In my opinion, essentially everyone who posts has been wrong about something, and been corrected. I know I have been wrong or my experience varied wildly from somebody else s. Other then the chagrin at being shown up as wrong, I've been happy to accept the help/criticism/correction. I came here, and stay here, to learn from people with more, other, or different experiences than I have. Or could have.
Well said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
This is a newb forum. We were all newbs once. Read up, ask questions, start a tank. Welcome aboard!

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I agree, well said. I'm a pretty long user of a forum for my reef tank so I have a little experience with forums. Their value really is significant in the hobby. I think it is very underrated. Thanks for your feedback and I'm already discovering all (or at least a couple) of the variables that come into play in order to have a successful tank!

Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll need more of it in the future!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
This is a newb forum. We were all newbs once. Read up, ask questions, start a tank. Welcome aboard!
True that! See where it says guru by my name? It lies, I'm still a newb.

Welcome to the forum, Jacob.morgan78

And great advice, dbosman!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
+1 on the search feature. Whatever your question is, it has been asked. Many times.

However, people have new experiences all the time, and collective wisdom evolves. So *after* you use the search feature, if there's any confusion, please feel free to ask. No harm in a good discussion, even one that's just a repeat from last week/month/year.

Besides, turnover is pretty high here. Check out some threads from a couple years back and chances are you won't recognize a single name. Sure, there are a few long-term addicts, but for the most part people come and go, and the knowledge doesn't always get directly passed on, so old discussions can be rehashed with new people.

I really enjoy finding posts from current "gurus" back when they were young and unlearned in the art of the planted tank, and consequently sounded like ...well, noobs. Fortunately, I've never been wrong. Ever.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode