Canister Question? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Canister Question?

Hi Everyone!
I have a 36 gallon planted tank(starting to become heavily planted) with co2 and soon to be led lights. I have 2 hob marineland 280 filters(running empty). Im thinking of adding a canister filter as well(since I have way too many fish). My problem is my tank is shoved in a corner between my hall and my closet(in my living room)and lets just say its cramped. So going in and cleaning the canister would be difficult and a pia each month. I know in reef tanks you can set up a empty canister with some bio beads and just let it run. You dont have to clean it out. I was wondering if that was be the same in fresh water? If so I could see adding one.
Thanks for your input.
patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner
I have a RENA XP3 and do not clean it often. Certainly not Monthly. I know one person who went over 6 months and it was still working pretty well (not that I would suggest that long.). This is all wilth the regular sponges.

I tear mine down and do a clean on the hoses and everything twice a year. I rinse out the sponges in aquarium water every 2-3 months or so. I only do it if the output begins to suffer. I do have a prefilter on the intake that I rinse out weekly so I am sure that helps. I put that there mainly to stop the little shrimp and fry from getting accidentally sucked in. Its just a filter pad sewn into a cylinder with some fishing line that slips over the hose. Very easy to take off and rinse at water change.

If you're just looking for biological filtration what your suggesting should work with very little maintenance.

75 Gallon Lowtech
75 Gallon Hightech
10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Farm
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks CrazyMidwesterner
good idea about the prefilter on the intake I have shirmp so would def want that. I wasnt going to put sponges in it just bio beads or would I not want those?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
All of my canister filters are setup the same way. I have a handfull or two of cheap poly fill ("filter floss", or "pillow batting"), followed by bio balls.

In any of my tanks (including my reef) I don't do any filter maintenance unless I see a flow reduction, or its been 3 or so months since my last tear down and rinse. I use pre filters on all of my canisters also, works really well to help keep maintenance down. Best to use a coarse foam rather than a fine one, or you will lose flow quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks iKine
when you say coarse foam Im not sure what you mean? its starting to sound like a small canister would be worth wild.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 4 shrimp tanks and run a Fluval Sponge Prefilter on all of them so I pretty much never clean out the canister or HOB filter. Only real reason to ever clean them out is to clean out the floss or sponges because they get full of debris and start to slow down. With a sponge on the intake, there is nothing to get in the filter, therefore nothing to slow it down and clog it, therefore nothing to clean. I just clean my sponges once a week.

These are the ones I use.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250

I also have a couple extra, so I just take one that is cleaned and put it on and then clean the other one really good and let it dry to rotate for the next one I clean.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks GetoChKn
what a great idea having a cpl extra and switching. I think Im going to with the canister. I have a set of lights Ill try to trade for one if that doesnt work out Ill order one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Buy a canister and SELL the marinelands

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
Buy a canister and SELL the marinelands
I agree. I didn't realize how great a canister was till I got one. For the sake of quiet alone they are well worth the money in my opinion.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks Damaimus and JasonG75
what a great Idea Im going to do just that!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode