drop checker says good fish are gasping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
drop checker says good fish are gasping

i have a 40b with injected co2 the drop checker says water is perfect even a little light on c02 but i have 2 cherry barbs that are hanging on surface i put air stones in a t night to try to help any ideas guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
How is your water surface...is it "still"

Point a powerhead to ripple the surface of the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do any rescaping or have a fish die lately? Could just be an ammonia/nitrite spike

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cut back the co2 a little bit - who cares what the drop checker says if the fish are dead. Your plants may still thrive and better yet, your fish will be alive.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
What's perfect?
My lone cherry barb reacts to CO2 while he others don't. I added a little surface movement while the CO2 is on. That helped. I use a powerhead for that but you can raise your spray bar up a bit.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Go with your fish's reaction first and foremost. the drop checker is just a rough guess at how much co2 is in your tank, your fish will let you fine tune it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Are you using 4dKH with your drop checker? If not, your drop checker is merely a decoration

Some fish take a little while to get used to co2, maybe you could turn it down for a while and then make it come back up slowly.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i put an air stone in last night and now its on a time to turn on when the co2 and lights stop all fish seem to be back to normal
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If u ripple the surface it will help a lot day and night

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Have you been running CO2 for long? Some fish need to get used to CO2. Also, your drop checker takes an hour+ to react to changes in the CO2 levels but the fish react right away. My fish get sluggish, school in a bunch near the bottom of the tank, respirate more noticeably, and refuse food when CO2 is too high. I always address the CO2 at this stage rather than waiting for them to gasp at the top.

Also, what is your wather ph gh and kh? If you start out with really low pH water, then lower it with CO2, that could be a problem.

To help my fish, I lowered my water temp to 74 to allow more O2 and C02 dissolve in the water.

Good luck!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been running co2 for about 4 months and the fish have been in there all the while. All of the fish are very active and never really we not, they all storm the top of the tank at the first sight of food. My ph is 6.6-6.8. the fish never really got slughis or showed signs of destress. they may have been mistaking the air bubbles at the top for food, while still being kind of new to this im not really sure what a gasping fish looks like.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Easy test: gasping fish will not eat. They swim lethargically in one place at the top of the tank, they will not leave until you fix the problem or they die.

Your fish could become more sensitive to CO2 if the water parameters have changed (less O2, lower ph, mini cycle, etc).

Good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode