My Co2 Water Parameters, Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
sly

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Co2 Water Parameters, Help!

Any thoughts/comments on my water parameter look for a 10g, 2.8wpg, eco-complete, and hagen co2 system tank? I"m trying to make it a densely planted tank but right now I don't have much because I'm hoping for them to grow. THe plant list consist of Ludwigia, Vals, Glosso, Anubias Nana, Dwarf Sags, and Cardamine.

pH 7.2
gH 9 degrees
kH 10 degrees
No3 7.5ppm
Co2 19ppm

Already after only about a week and a couple days, I'm seeing some hair algae forming on my vals. I've only dosed Flourish once last week and haven't done any PPMD yet.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Planted Member

Algae is common in newly setup tanks. Remove the hair algae when there is enough to remove.

Phosphates are also a required nutrient. Perhaps you should start checking for them as well.

Good luck!

Bill
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you got the dough, consider upgrading to higher light. I started off with 2x13W PC for my 10G as well, but after changing to 2x27W PC, I can see significant growth increase for my plants especially glosso. With increased light, you will have to increase the CO2 to 30ppm as well.

To get to 30ppm of CO2 with your KH of 9, you will have to keep adding CO2 until pH drop to 6.9.

You might also want to get some true SAE to control hair algae before they got out of hands.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
sly

I've added Phosphate (FLeet Enema) a couple days ago and PPMD in the last two days. It seems that the Vals and the Sags are the only ones developing the hair algae. I don't have a phosphate kit (can't find any at LFS!) so I'll have to locate one soon.

I"m thinking aboug getting 3 Ottos but I think the SAE will get too large for the 10g tank.

Thanks for the comments.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
What's your phosphate level? You'll likely want to up your nitrates a little bit -- most people recommend around 10-15ppm, but I'd test for Po4 first.
As for the SAE -- true, it will be a little big, but it won't really outgrow a 10g unless you have it for years. I'd pick up 2 of them and let them help on the algae control.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
sly

I already have 3 dwarf puffers so I'm not sure if adding the SAE will pose problems. Though, I have a feeling it will because those DPs are nippy...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 PM

SAE's get way too big for a 10gallon tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

I took both of mine back - those are mean little devils - they are extremely aggressive and bit the heads off several of my neon tetras. Beware******. My LFS was nice enough to take mine back. They grow extremely large also and are NOT a community fish. Just thought you might want to know.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
sly

SAE? THe true SAE are pretty much docile. I have one in my 30g community tank and he never bothers anyone.

What it sounds like is that you got the Chinese algae eater and not the SAE.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I tend to disagree that the SAEs are too big for a 10g, at least in the short-run. I had 3 of 'em in my 35g a while back and they reached about 3-4" probably(had them for 2 years roughly). I saw a nice planted tank at a LFS that had a couple SAEs that were probably 5-6" -- pretty large, but I'm sure this takes years to attain. I currently have 4 (small)SAEs in my 20g to help with an algae problem --- yes, I know its too many, but once they start getting big, I'll move 2 to another tank or give them back to the LFS. They like to be in at least pairs.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode