Toxic Mold created by fish tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Toxic Mold created by fish tanks?

Last weekend I had to rip out my carpet because of MOLD. I don't know if this has happened to you, but I have a couple tanks in my basement which is somewhat damp. If your tank leaks it seeps through the carpets and grows somewhat like algae in your fish tank. But we had to clean our whole basement with bleach to kill it.

I kept getting sick and we decided to setup a mold test. And it came back positive so we did all we could, bought a $130 air purifier and sealed up all our vents with filters. Its ridiculous...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
A14 sorry to hear that and a little research might help. Bleach will help but there are mold specific sprays that kill it better and help it from returning. Most likely your basement is getting moister from outside, concrete and cinder block are porous and water does pass through them slowly. Here's a couple things that can help, a dehumidifier either stand alone or whole house if you have forced air heating or cooling, cheap fans on timers that come on a couple times a day for an hour or two, some of the tower type fans don't look bad, if you have exposed brick, block, or concrete paint it with a sealing type paint like Drylok and make sure to use a good one with proper prep and lay it on heavy or just don't skimp, this is the best thing you can do.

Sealing the vents could make it worse, the idea is good flow with all the humidity being removed from the whole house, the air purifier will help in a bedroom where you sleep but do nothing to fix the problem, if you need more help send a pm I don't mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, leaks & high humidity anywhere are potential mold problems.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We didn't seal the vents completely, we put filters in front as there are mold spores traveling through the vents and we thought the filters would stop the spores.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We just put the dehumidifier where the mold is the worst hopefully, it'll suck all the water out and tomorrow we are going out to but some Mold control stuff.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
a uv sterilizer installed in your forced air heat system will kill air born mold spores. Good ventilation and a dehumidifier are a great idea in any basement.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you don't need to have the heat on either. Set your fan to on and let the blower run continuously.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
No fish room is complete without a dehumidifier.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used to remediate toxic mold professionally. Take it very seriously if your home has tested positive for toxic mold. I have seen people debilitated by it (fatigue, mental degradation and memory loss, poor immune function, etc.) and I myself ended up very ill for over a year. Get it out of your home at all costs. It should leave your body if you are not reinfecting from your home (yes, it can setup and live in your lungs, sinuses, etc.), though it usually takes about a year to fully recover. For any potential hypochondriacs reading this, don't worry, less than 2% of household mold is toxic, though all can cause allergies and respiratory problems. If you are sick have your home tested first. If it tests positive for toxic mold, have them look at your blood for markers. I took antifungals and stopped working with it.

(defunct)

same tank another approach (defunct)

same tank now

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We have some non-toxic mold spores which are whitish and to what I believe to be toxic mold, the black colored stuff but a very small amount of it.
We are buying high potent mold control tomorrow and placed a dehumidifier in front so it should just go away.

Do you think we should cut the pieces of wood out that have the mold?
or will the bleach in conjunction with the mold control kill it and not having the need to take the piece of wood out.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekidwell View Post
No fish room is complete without a dehumidifier.
Thanks, we're getting one for my room and hopefully it'll help against my room getting so humid because of my tank.

And will the dehumidifier suck water out of my tank?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner
You will most likely have to top off a bit more. More Dry air will probably increase evaporation. I have two tanks in my basement and use water from my dehumidifier to top off my black water tank since it's got zero hardness to it.

Works out pretty well actually :-)

75 Gallon Lowtech
75 Gallon Hightech
10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Farm
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Someone had a saltwater tank at our work and someone got so sick his eyes was bulging out of his head due to the black mold... The worst part was the mold reach the vent ducts. Where that office was, it was between a cold and damp warehouse and heated interior.

Basement are normally damp I have one running every so often to remove the moisture if it rains for a couple days straight or if it feels damp.

I don't think evaporation from running one will be much, just make sure your tanks are tightly covered and not open top.

Also best to put it on the other side of the room.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question:

I have small black, what look to be like mold spots on my bathroom sink. Always grow back in same spots, and a bitch to get off. What is best course of action (and reasonable, ie - not spending $100 to test).

Also - this is something I never really thought of in my 5 years of tank owning. I just setup a 35 Gallon hex in my daughter's (1yr old) room and its evaporation is crazy...do I need to take precautions?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Question:
Also - this is something I never really thought of in my 5 years of tank owning. I just setup a 35 Gallon hex in my daughter's (1yr old) room and its evaporation is crazy...do I need to take precautions?
I'd put a glass cover in place.
I unintentionally caused a water issue on my kids bedrooms with ultrasonic humidifiers. The moisture made its way to the joints and stained them. Gads those water stains are hard to cover.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode