125g good deal or a scam? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
125g good deal or a scam?

I was browsing online when I came across a 125g with stand and heater I am not sure on filter. Anyway it cost $550 and I was wondering if this was a good or bad deal one of the things that really caught my eye was that it comes with a stand. The reason for that is because for my 29g tank I got a coustom stand that costed 800$ but my dad made a deal with the store and got it for $200. So my question is should I buy it or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Generally, especially in a place where tanks are in high supply (as in, big cities such as Chicago) $1/gallon for just a tank seems reasonable. For a stand, maybe an extra 50% of the tank cost. I'd say those prices increase a bit when you start getting into the 90g+ range. So unless that tank comes with an FX5, or several smaller canisters, no, I wouldn't pay more than $300-350 for it. But that's just me. And I'd definitely lowball, because the market for used 125g tanks is relatively microscopic.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Dog
Algae Grower

For me it would also depend on the shape the tank and stand is in, most sales I see they want to include a bunch of equipment I would never use (that they think is worth way more than it is to me). If it is just the bare tank and stand it is kinda high, in my opinion, if there is more stuff with it you could negotiate on that. I would start around $250 - $300 on the tank and stand and negotiate on what ever else it comes with.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
what kevmo said.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/2699193734.html here's one for way cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP TANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
what kevmo said.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/2699193734.html here's one for way cheaper.
If you really want a 125g, call them now. If that light fixture is a T5HO, and works, it's worth nearly what they're asking on its own. And then make your own darn stand :P

*edit* actually, after doing a quick search, i see that fixture maybe NO rather than HO. That may work for you, though 72" NO bulbs may not be easy or cheap to come by. Still, I'd pay $150 for a 125g. If it's not heavily scratched, that's a bonus.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Planted Member

Try bargaining.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
If you are looking at CL, it's hard to say what a deal is. You can often find a very large tank in my area that is dirt cheap and worth every penny. But, for every one of those, you find a cheap or expensive tank that should be repaired before using. Many people seem to think very noticeable scratches in glass in normal wear and tear as well.

As somebody else said, usually $1 per gallon, after you get over the 29's and 55's is usually in the reasonable range. Add a bit for the stand but often it doesn't make a difference.

I would only pay $550 is it was almost exactly what I wanted. Meaning, the tank is looking as new, the stand is what I would have chose, and it comes with either filtration I would choose, or lighting, preferably both.

Big tanks are easy to pick up cheap as the owner usually cannot deliver it so it is up to the buyer to pick up. Most buyers cannot easily pick up so it isn't hard to find a great deal. I didn't have room for a 90 gallon that someone wanted about $400 but it was exactly what I wanted. I offered $150, they seemed offended but kept on getting relisted lower and lower. They contacted me 4 weeks later at the price I wanted but I didn't want it any more. I saw it listed for $100 after that, unsure if anyone bought it. I know that is one example but at that time, I could have had better deals on bigger tanks I definitely could not fit.

-Matt

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
^ i've no patience to wait 4 weeks :P

in chicagoland, you won't see a tank last 4 weeks.

RIP TANKS

"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
^ i've no patience to wait 4 weeks :P

in chicagoland, you won't see a tank last 4 weeks.
I am in the Bay Area, CA, the land of Craigslist. A good deal won't last a day, and average deal will not last a week. I am just saying, a bad deal will last forever.

My point was, I offered a competitive price and they were not interested. After 4 weeks, it was listed lower than I offered. I wasn't trying to wait, just giving and example.

If I didn't care about anything but the tank, I could get a 125 in decent condition for free if I acted fast enough.

-Matt

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Algae Grower

I just bought an Oceanic 125G with glass tops and stand for $400. I had my mind set on $350, but didn't mind paying a little more for the nicer Oceanic stand and the tank was in excellent condition.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have bought and sold many tanks.

$550 for just the 125gal with stand and Heater is not a good deal in my area. Basically $1 per gal is a fine price to pay for a used tank. Then it depends on the other stuff you get with the tank. I have seen 125gal tanks with stand, filter light and random stuff go for $200.

But it always depends the area you live in and the condition of the tank.

80gal planted Angelfish community.
100gal SA cichlid, Silver dollar, and delhezi. No plants!
36 gal Planted Swordtail community.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I found a woman on craigslist selling her ex husbands 125 for a hundred bucks....tank, stand, lights and filters...I was too late

SunSun Pimp #57

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekidwell View Post
I found a woman on craigslist selling her ex husbands 125 for a hundred bucks....tank, stand, lights and filters...I was too late

Thats called revenge haha
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Freecycle. I get a LOT of stuff off of Freecycle, best part ... it's free!

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've gotten some great deals on Kijiji. (No one uses Craiglist up here in my neck of the woods) including free 55gal, free 40gal, Eheim Pro 2 2026 and Fluval 404 for $80, etc. My latest find was a 125gal, stand, matching hood, 3 bulb fixture, sump, 1800gph return pump, the whole works for $300. I see other people trying to sell their $90 with a crappy stand and a Fluval 204 on it (way under filtered) for $500-$600. People even try and sell 10gal kits for 60-70$ sometimes or even more. There are good deals and crappy ones, just have to be on it quickly sometimes. The 125gal I had to get from the guys basement (that thing is fricking heavy) drive it an hour+ home, then carry it 3 flights of stairs to my apartment to set it up. I never want to move that thing again. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode