For people with MTS, how many have downsized? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
For people with MTS, how many have downsized?

MTS=Multiple Tank Syndrome.

Right now, I have 4 tanks. I pretty much live at my girlfriend's house, we don't officially live together but I am there more than my house. I still live at my parents as I am a musician an my recording studio is here.

I have had a 29 gallon from the beginning. I always like "garden style" tanks, because of the variety of colors in plants. I had great luck with my 29 when it was my only tank, and before my life got too hectic to keep up. So my 29 has all the fancy stuff (co2, auto dosing, canister, high light, etc). However, it is the hardest to maintain and gets neglected. I started to enjoy "natural" style tanks so I added one. Then my girlfriend wanted a tank, then when we lived closer, we bought another.

I have 2 problems. I like two styles of tanks that you can't easily use the same plants for, I am doing a dutch and a natural style at my house. My girlfriend is a bit less patient than me so at her house, we just have "jungle tanks", one loosely "dutch inspired", one loosely "iwagumi" inspired.

For me to have both styles done to my liking, I need at least 2 tanks that are allowed to look ugly at some point. On the flip side, my other problem is I don't have enough time to maintain a high tech tank with a lot of variables like the dutch tank I am trying to do at my place. Some of it is skill, some of it is equipment that I cannot afford at the moment. I need a better light fixture for one tank, and CO2 (or low light) for another.

Coincidentally, 3 of my tanks have the same foot print (I have one 29 gallon and two 20 Longs). If I got rid of one, I could swap out my lighting and have a better setup all around. I would have a quality filter and heater on all tanks, no compromises on equipment on any tank.

I really want to keep them all but financially it will be much easier to just get rid of one. The one I know I should get rid of is my Dutch attempt as it needs more of my time, and probably 2 simple, but costly upgrades.

I know the logical thing would to just get rid of one. I am just wondering how some of you have dealt with this. I don't have the option of going with one big tank either, though that is what I would like, that is once I own a house. My option is either to loose a tank, or invest a bit more time and money into what I have.

Sorry, long post, I have parted with tanks before but only to upgrade to better. Again, based on logic, the answer is simple but like most hobbies, we tend to not like to go that route.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Better to do 1 tank well that 3 tanks not so well.

I solve the obsession by having 4 20L grow out tanks in the unfinished basement along with my two "experiment" tanks (sig line).

I have one display my 4gl Finnex on the desk in my home office. I'll soon be setting up a 2nd display tank in the living rm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Better to do 1 tank well that 3 tanks not so well.

I solve the obsession by having 4 20L grow out tanks in the unfinished basement along with my two "experiment" tanks (sig line).

I have one display my 4gl Finnex on the desk in my home office. I'll soon be setting up a 2nd display tank in the living rm.
I definitively feel you on that. Only one of my tanks looks bad. It just so happens to be the one I have invested the most money in. I have a light setup that many have complained about which is using Coralife NO fixtures in mass. They have a poor reflector which keeps the light down. But, many people have the same problem as me when using more than one and have algae issues. Many say that the reflector makes some places very high light, others very low, creating various algae issues but in different parts of the tank and not in masses. I have that. I am somewhat convinced that a new fixture will help a lot.

My 5 gallon hasn't had a sign of algae in 3 years, one of my 20 longs has always been balanced/low maintenance, and the other just is having an algae breakout since adding new fish. If I ditched my 29, I could put a lower light fixture on the 20 long with algae issues and it would be more balanced, it is right on the cusp of having too much light so problems come fast when they come but it needs a variable to get bad. I think CO2 would solve that though, again, it's an issue of cost vs. changing up my setup. All my lighting is interchangeable between the 3 tanks.

-Matt

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
I keep it simple. I just have one tank and all my aquarium effort and money can go toward that tank without having to worry about anything else. Yes, I've had MTS urges, but I've resisted because as the effort and maintenance scales up, the enthusiasm and energy for upkeep and appreciation will surely die down. I'm sure others have different opinions and hence make different choices, but this way I'm never worrying about if I have time for tank X or tank Y. You don't get to have all the styles you want, but at least you can be happy with a good tank of your favorite style.

-VeeSe

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
I keep it simple. I just have one tank and all my aquarium effort and money can go toward that tank without having to worry about anything else. Yes, I've had MTS urges, but I've resisted because as the effort and maintenance scales up, the enthusiasm and energy for upkeep and appreciation will surely die down. I'm sure others have different opinions and hence make different choices, but this way I'm never worrying about if I have time for tank X or tank Y. You don't get to have all the styles you want, but at least you can be happy with a good tank of your favorite style.
It is funny because your post makes so much sense, and I have had that experience, one great tank that always looked great. Maybe my favorite I have ever done.

Then my brain says "well your 20 long in your room has let you experiment and let you try so many different styles". Then the "if you get rid of _____ tank, you will have to get rid of such and such plant as your other tanks don't need them".

As said, I know I am not being logical, and I am obviously not happy maintaining all these tanks. I know I justify it by "if I upgrade a fixture here, add co2 there, I could find that low maintenance balance". Or I could do it for free with less work.

If I could automatically swap out hardscapes or tanks without redoing them, it would be much easier. I may let my 20 long grow out (dry start) and if I fall in love, my 29 will go away. But, I don't want to get rid of my 29 as I did my favorite scape in that, when I had no other tanks.

I know it isn't logical, by any means, if it was easy, I wouldn't start a post. That's why some people call it MTS disorder, it really is funny how some of us end up with so much stuff. I clearly remember my first goal, to not have my plants die. Never had an issue until I had 4-6 tanks going at the same time. So it is stupid, but, I am allowed to be stupid if I want

-Matt

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
first tank...

8G biorb. led to a 56G. led to a 12G eclipse (for quarantine). led to a 75G. now i use the 12G as a fry tank...probably selling the biorb. ideally get rid of the 12G too. the 56G and 75G is already a bit much for a 1 bdr condo.

RIP TANKS

"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
first tank...

8G biorb. led to a 56G. led to a 12G eclipse (for quarantine). led to a 75G. now i use the 12G as a fry tank...probably selling the biorb. ideally get rid of the 12G too. the 56G and 75G is already a bit much for a 1 bdr condo.
Wow, that is a lot for a 1 bdr condo. I hope it is atleast over 1,500 sq/ft, some 1 bdr condo's out here are only like 800, even less.

-Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
1 main tank (125) and 1 shrimp tank (5.5) in living room. 1 holding tank (75), 1 outgrow tank (40 angels) and 3 breeder tanks for GBR (20l, 20H and 10). I plan on upgrading to 10x 20H , 5x 29s and 1 more 75.

Main tank is only one that will get all the planting/scaping attention.
Hope in the future to get another big tank in the living room.

Keep all the tanks, if you dont want to put a lot of attention to one of them, plant it and keep a nice fish in it and breed with it.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Wow, that is a lot for a 1 bdr condo. I hope it is atleast over 1,500 sq/ft, some 1 bdr condo's out here are only like 800, even less.
i wish. 780 sq ft!!!

RIP TANKS

"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Keep all the tanks, if you dont want to put a lot of attention to one of them, plant it and keep a nice fish in it and breed with it.
That would be ideal but as said in my first post, I am living at home and living with the GF at the same time, not sure how long I will be at home, but my parents have given me the luxury of letting me keep my recording studio under there roof. That is a huge blessing but I don't want to overstay my welcome by having anything else very "permanent" so I only stay here when I have to. That ends up being more than a few times per week. I have the space here, I just don't want to continue to be here, outside of music, for much longer. Breeding isn't an option, though I plan to keep my tank here, and my studio, as long as my parents will let me have the space. I would love if I had a commercial space and all that for my work, it just isn't quite there. Once there, I plan to go big with one tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
i wish. 780 sq ft!!!
I feel your pain. My GF and I share a 400 SQ ft studio right now. It is fine when it is clean but putting anything outside of it's right place, it is dirty lol. Entertaining means every single thing we own is in its right place, plus we have no walls.

We are both trying to make a short term sacrifice to fulfill our bigger picture as we both have high skill levels in areas you have to do business on your own. We both decided to try to do what we love, rather than work jobs that don't fit our life. Not to get too off topic but you really get to know someone when you live in a space that is smaller than many master bedrooms lol. That is part of the 'fun" of making your own career lol.

-Matt

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol, glad to see you guys have the courage to go that route. it's not easy!

RIP TANKS

"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nothing wrong with downsizing to fit with the maint you are willing/able to perform.
I ran a dozen tank's from ten gallon to 80 gallon for a number of year's,until it became too much like a job.
I now run four 20 gal,29 gal,55 gal,80 gal.
The 80 gal supply's plant's for the other's,and trimming's go to local fish store for credit.
Non CO2,low light,suits my lifestyle but,,,do miss the different species of fish I once cared for.
Just don't miss all of the maint,and storage/making up of suitable water,for species being kept.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode