PTrader: (0/0%)
activated carbon

just wondering if many people run activated carbon in there filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It's not really popular. Carbon will remove medications from water, and possibly tannins and surface scum, and when it becomes inert it will be as effective as any other bio-filtration of similar size. But it doesn't really serve much of a purpose in a tank.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
About the only two things carbon is used for in a planted tank would be the removal of tannins as like was posted above and also removing medications after a treatment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Doesnt it clarify the water as well?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Activated Carbon

Hello wpg...

I do large water changes weekly and don't use carbon in my filtration equipment. There's really no need for it. Water changes do much more for your tank than carbon filtration ever will, because water changes remove many more dissolved substances.

There's nothing wrong with using it, but don't rely on it or any other media to keep the water pure. Only large and frequent water changes can do this.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Use it, without a doubt, especially at startup. What if you don't do enough water changes? What if you have a high organic load? What if you have an insufficient bio-filter in terms of plants and bacteria? It's just another way to keep your tank cleaner of organics. You will have to change it when necessary to keep up it's effectiveness, but there are plenty of reasons to use it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Doesnt it clarify the water as well?
Purigen is a better product for water clarity then AC.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
You will have to change it when necessary to keep up it's effectiveness
Which is about every month. With Purigen you can recharge it up to 3 times. AC does not recharge.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
Which is about every month. With Purigen you can recharge it up to 3 times. AC does not recharge.
Would depend on type of carbon and tank conditions, but personally I've used both. I don't look at it as either I use all, especially at startup. It also depends on what you are removing, carbon sometimes I've found to be more effective.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
AC can get reboosted when you wash it in very hot water I thought ... least that's what I was told a couple of decades ago and it does seem to work. It smells fresher and seems to work a bit more, but that might be just me, LOL.

I do use carbon in my media - it helps polish the water a little - greatly reduces any odors, and we use carbon as a filter in our water filters (like brita, pur, etc) for a reason - it does help with filtration and purifying water.

Here is an interesting link ...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-refill-a-disposable-Brita-brand-water-pit/

An excerpt: "Activated carbon is also known as activated charcoal and is a VERY effective substance at absorbing many unwanted contaminants in drinking water and other liquids."

So yeah, if it removes impurities, I think it has value as a filtration medium.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
AC can get reboosted when you wash it in very hot water I thought ... least that's what I was told a couple of decades ago and it does seem to work. It smells fresher and seems to work a bit more, but that might be just me, LOL.

I do use carbon in my media - it helps polish the water a little - greatly reduces any odors, and we use carbon as a filter in our water filters (like brita, pur, etc) for a reason - it does help with filtration and purifying water.

Here is an interesting link ...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-refill-a-disposable-Brita-brand-water-pit/

An excerpt: "Activated carbon is also known as activated charcoal and is a VERY effective substance at absorbing many unwanted contaminants in drinking water and other liquids."

So yeah, if it removes impurities, I think it has value as a filtration medium.
I worry about some of those impurities being things my plants like. Water for me and water for my plants are two different animals, lol.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
That is why AC is not used in most planted tank on a regular basis. It very much sucks up the beneficial nutrients that our plants need to thrive.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I use it on all of my tanks. Always have and always will. There is a reason AC is one of the chaimbers in a RO/DI unit. Because it works. I wouldnt worry too much about it sucking up your ferts. I havent ever had a problem. I refresh mine every month as well.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
I use it on all of my tanks. Always have and always will. There is a reason AC is one of the chaimbers in a RO/DI unit. Because it works. I wouldnt worry too much about it sucking up your ferts. I havent ever had a problem. I refresh mine every month as well.
Totally agree. The idea that carbon will remove all the trace elements from plants is really a myth. If it was so effective at removing all traces many reef tanks would bite the dust. Your dosing traces on a regular basis anyway so I really don't see the isuee. Carbon as a great additional measure against organic build-up. Two items that aren't used enough IMO in planted aqua are carbon and UVs. I don't use these on all my tanks, but they can only help if you need it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Its not a miracle cure, thats for sure. But every additional preventative measure to save your beautiful tank is worth trying for a couple bucks a month. Sure there are plenty of tanks out there that look great without it. I dont feel my tank would be the same without it. I am a fanboy

My 65g jungle October rain

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode